Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Accepted Solution

30 ETEC quits while trolling

My 30 etec will sometimes quit during trolling. It will restart, then quit in a few seconds. I leave it for several minutes then it will restart and everything is fine. This usually happens after 2 hours or more of trolling. Before it quits, it will usually miss fire a few times. It has done this since new and I have used it for 3 years.

Admiral

Re: 30 ETEC quits while trolling

Your motor may need to be checked out by a trained technician to be sure of the symptoms and to fix it correctly.

My guess is that you have a fuel delivery problem. It could be somethingas simple as the fuel-connector o-ring allowing air to be sucked into the line which eventually will break the "suction" of the fuel pump which is drawing gasoline from the tank. Chances are you have to squeeze the primer ball to get the engine going again. One way to narrow things down is to use a known good tank and hose to see if the problem goes away.

One way to check for air leakage is to temporarily install a clear piece of fuel line onto the fuel pump inlet fitting and look for bubbles while running. Installing a vacuum gauge on the clear line determines if there is an excessive restriction in the system somewhere.

Off-brand protable gas tanks with screw-on hose fittings are very common culprits of this type of problem.

Tell the technician the complete story of how you run the motor and how long it takes to quit and what you have to do to get it running again.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for the input, I will implement your suggestions to determine if the problem is in the fuel delivery system. I tried the "trained technician" route when the problem first started and was told, "we hooked it up to the computer and it said everything was fine". I love this motor for trolling so it will be worth the effort to resolve this one issue. Just thinking, the motor has never missed a beat at WOT but the amount of fuel being pumped is much greater.

Highlighted
Admiral

When someone says they "hooked it up to the computer and nothing was wrong" they are bragging that they are not a good tech.

Experienced techs with factory training know that the "computer report" is only one of the diagnostic tools used to troubleshoot as it does not monitor anything fuel related on your motor. Even high tech low-emission engines like yours need to have the basics checked - proper fuel delivery, good quality gasoline, adequate ignition at the correct time, and the internal health of the powerhead.

If your problem persists, I'd recommend that you find a different technician.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.