Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

30 etec quits every 5 minutes

My 2011  E30DTSLIIS/5290081 recently quit running while trolling,and was very hard to restart.  After trying for awhile, it would restart and run normally at trolling speed for about 5 minutes before quitting again. Took to dealer who said it needed spark plugs and that it was fixed.  Went out to try it and it ran fine for about an hour before the engine quit again at trolling speed.  This time though it would start again and run smoothly for about 5 minutes before quitting again.  This went on for about an hour before it became hard to start after quitting.  At this time it will start again after waiting for a half hour or so, but it still runs only about five minutes.  It is back at the dealer again,but I noticed that engine code 11 TPS out of idle range has shown up 76 times, yet the dealer didn't mention doing anything to the TPS.  I thought it sounded like a fuel issue since I have seen that fuel pumps seem to be an issue with these motors, and I had a fuel draw problem when I changed gas tanks and the motor wouldn't draw fuel through an 8' long 3/8" line, but ran fine when the line was changed to 5/16". The was no mention on the repair order that the dealer checked fuel pressure either.  Any one else had similar issues? 

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 30 etec quits every 5 minutes

We recommend that you have an authorized Evinrude dealer with a factory trained tech check over your engine and perform any needed service.

My guess is that you have a fuel delivery problem either due to an intermittent electric fuel pump or an air leak or restriction somewhere in the tank, lines, or other component. That is only a guess, the trained tech will be able to assess the engine for you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I agree that it is probably a fuel problem.  I did try a different fuel tank and hose which didn't make a difference.  My dealer is a platinum dealer, and I am dissapointed that they didn't fix the motor the first time, and apparently didn't even check the fuel pressure.  Maybe they will fix it this time.

Highlighted
Skipper

After looking at other posts here, I saw that running gas with oil in it can sometimes make a fuel pump start working again.  When I tried a different fuel tank and hose, the fuel had a 50-1 oil mix and that is when the motor seemed to run normally again.  The dealer said the gas they ran it on was also a premix.  It thus looks like my motor has a bad fuel pump-just waiting for the dealer to get to the motor to find out for sure. 

Highlighted
Skipper

Dealer replaced the fuel pump this time and it ran fine all day so it appears to be fixed.  Total cost was $1000 for both service calls.  Probably won't buy another E-tec since I've had two-a 90 and this 30-and both have had problems.

Highlighted
Admiral

Other makes of outboards that use electric fuel pumps also suffer from internal corrosion of the pump components depending on the amount of water or phase-separated fuel mixtures or from running dry or from fuel system restrictions. Stale fuel deposits and varnish do not care what make of motor they affect. Keep that in mind.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.