Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

300 HP shakes 950-1500 rpm?

I have a 2016 300HP e-tec, not G2. First year the air silencer had to be replaced under warranty.  My second summer the motor blew. Evinrude replaced the block, 1 fuel injector and 1 read valve under warranty. The motor now shakes at 950 to 1500 RPM causing the whole boat to vibrate/shake .  The dealer said that all motors have a spot which they shake. Evinrude after sales said whatever the dealer says is true. My boat never shook before the engine blew, it doesnt make sense that it would shake after.

I will also add I would never have purchased a motor knowing that it would shake the whole boat. Evinrude doesn't advertise that there motors are suppose to shake.

My question is to all Evinrude owners with 300 HP, does your motor shake at a certain RPM causing your whole boat to vibrate/shake?

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 300 HP shakes 950-1500 rpm?

First step, find another Evinrude trained technician that can use EV diag 5 to do a cylinder kill test and temporary modify injector mixtures at the problem RPM range. I have never seen a V6 that had a shake when all cylinders were running properly. Some of the I3's will shake under heavy load conditions. All rigging set ups have an rpm "sweet spot" where they run best but the condition you describe is not "normal" and could cause engine damage. It could be a coil or spark plug misfiring under load or an injector that is too lean. Also need to make sure that your engine is not over propped. What was your maximum rpm on the original power head?
Highlighted
Admiral

In the previous post, RICKMCD23 asked for the top rpm with the original powerhead and I am interested in the top rpm with the new powerhead. Was there any significant change?

In addition, there is a TPS calibration adjustment that a knowledgeable technician can perform which minimizes off-idle running characteristics after everything else has been checked out.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

The top end RPM is the same with the old engine that blew and the new one. 5800 RPM.

The Tech was on the boat with me and he was trying to modify the injector mixture on each cyclinder while the boat was shaking at 950 rpm.  It did decrese the shaking slightly but changed the shaking to 1000rpm or 900 rpm instead. so he reset it back to the factory setting and said it was normal.

Highlighted
Admiral

There is a slight roughness as the engine is changing from its stratified (lean burn) mode to regular combustion that can sometimes be alleviated or minimized by a TPS calibration done by a tech with a laptop. In some situations a change of prop but keeping within the recommended rpm range makes a difference also as the transition depends on the load on the motor.

The older carbureted outboards had a similar roughness in a small rpm range as the carb switched over from the low speed jets to the mid or high speed jets.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I beleive the tech tried the TPS calibration  with a laptop. If they cant fix it by doing that, are you suggesting a different prop? Is there anything else that can be done?  I did not have this problem with the old block.  only the new block.

Do i need new part to go with the new block?

Highlighted
Captain

I had twins and the starboard engine did it, not the port ??

Highlighted
Skipper

My Evinrude tech said he tried to make it richer and leaner but it didnt change anything. Any other ideas?  Could it be something in the lower unit?

Highlighted
Admiral

If there is a different software MAP in the engine computer, EMM, and if the timing mark verification was not performed before the motor timing was checked, there could be some out-of-tune running.

The TPS calibration can also be tweaked to improve the transition range.

Evinrude does have a team that a dealer can contact for assistance in troubleshooting an engine.

Highlighted
Mate

I have a 2017 300hp G2 that exhibits shaking/missing as well. It originally occured in about the same rpm range. My tech performed a software upgrade and also had me switch props. The shaking still occurs but now at a tighter and higher rpm range (@ 1700/1950). There was mention made of me switching props again. As it is, the the boat planes differently now and doesn't jump out of the hole as quickly, so moving up a prop doesn't excite me...

Other issues:

-Excessive knock alarm (codes 3 then 5, I believe) at WOT twice. Engine throttled back on its own, vibrated tremendously.

-Advancing key to Start would not turn over engine from time to time (acts like a dead battery). Ignition switch replaced. New ignition worked until end of season this year, now same thing. 

I've been at a loss for a couple years now. How is any amount of shaking acceptable on a new engine with todays technology? I keep suggesting something else may be wrong but it doesn't land. Any help or advice would absolutely be welcomed.