Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

30HP E-Tec Flushing via Tell-Tale

[ Edited ]

Tell-Tale Flush Leak 1.jpgTell-Tale Flush Leak 2.jpg

(view in My Videos)
(view in My Videos)
Can someone please relay what standard procedure is for securing hoses to nipple fittings on the smaller HP E-Tec Outboards?  Just got my boat back.  Had certified techs do a 3 Year / 300 Hour Service. Presently, during Tell-Tale flush, I observe leaking under cowling and leaking under side molding flares... Leak under cowling was due to a zip tie being used in liue of a hose clamp. Most hose connections prior to service were secured via stainless steel, ear stepless, crimp style clamps.. Now many are being held with plastic zip ties. Anyone know how hose connections are established from the factory.  The leak under the side flares appears to be due to a gasket that was forgotten near the lower unit junction with mid-shaft area? Please see pics. Feedback appreciated.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 30HP E-Tec Flushing via Tell-Tale

When using the rear flush port water pressure should be limited to about 15 psi. Too much pressure can cause a leak under the cowl where the rubber fitting connect to an engine water hose.
Fuel lines on the engine are secured with metal band (oeitker) clamps. Cooling hoses are clamped with zip ties.
Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

Thank you. Appreciate the reply. Using the same hose bib I've always used, with valve opened to same position as always as well. Never had an issue prior to the 3 Year/300 Hour service. Thought if I posted here I'd verify if I have an issue since this board seems to carry sound information.

Any thoughts regarding mid shaft water leakage?

Thanks again.

Highlighted
Admiral

With that under cowl water leak, get the motor to your dealer ASAP and do not run it anymore until repaired.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Thank you Bluewater Bill.  Can you address the mid-shaft/lower unit junction leak? is there supposed to be a gasket between these two points?

Highlighted
Admiral

That may be normal as many Evirnude models have water passages in those areas to keep the rubber mounts cool on high speed runs.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

Under Cowling leak solved. Replaced zip tie. $0.25 fix.  Put a new radius Zip Tie around nipple fitting of fuel pump module.  Please refer to photos and hit me back if you have any questions or comments.

Bluewater Bill, Please refer to Model Number and Serial Number and please relay any info you may have regarding flow ports at mid-shaft.

Model: E30DPGLABF

Serial: 05447225

Tell-Tale Flush Leak Under Cowling.jpgTell-Tale Flush Leak Solved1.jpgTell-Tale Flush Radius Zip Standard vs Radius Tie1.jpgTell-Tale Flush Radius Zip Standard vs Radius Tie.jpgTell-Tale Flush Radius Zip Standard vs Radius Tie2.jpg