Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

4.5 hp evinrude running hot

Hey all.i just picked up a 4.5 hp evinrude with a new fuel pump and carb kit installed..owner said he thinks it needs an impeller..when we started it in his barrel the water was just spiting out the exaust i brought it home and took bottom end off..checked the impeller and housing..doesnt look bad to me and hitting all the sides of the housing..while i was there i ran water and compressed air through the bottom of the air tube up through the head..took abit of fooling with but got the water to stream out...put everything back together and started it up streamed out the tel tale..while it was running it started getting warm to the point i could hardly but my hand under it..i left it for a min and checked again and it was luke warm (and it was pumping the same as when it felt hot no different in stream) could my impeller still cause this? There is no thermostat in this motor.could something be blocking it from where the water tube goes into the block? If i take the head off am i going to see where the tube goes up to the cooling chamber? Any help would be appreciated.
Highlighted
Captain

Re: 4.5 hp evinrude running hot

Is this in a tub or in water? If tub, try to launch it in a waterway and test. A tub is a very risky way of starting engine. Check a dealer test tank to get an idea how big it has to be and how much of the engine need to be submerged.

Highlighted
Skipper

Yes This is in a barrel.i also had it in the boat on the water and same result.
Highlighted
Admiral

What is the model number on the engine?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Tring to figured that out bill.no tag..its between a 1983-1985 4.5 hp evinrude 2 stroke.
Highlighted
Captain

Compresson test. Leaking head gasket and/or sidecover gasket? 

Highlighted
Admiral

Those small engine blocks have very small cooling water passageways that clog up easily with sand or mud or salt buildup. It may be a good idea to remove the exhaust cover and the cylinderhead and inspect the water channels and clean them out if needed. In severe cases you may have to remove the powerhead and clean out from the bottom and from the exhaust housing.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks guys.figured out what was wrong.took the side cover off and there was a piece of rubber about an inch long stuck into the channel that feeds water to the cylinder head..pumping like a champ now...have no clue how that would have got in there.
Highlighted
Admiral

That is a common occurrance when an impeller vane breaks off and lodges somewhere restriciting the cooling water flow. If an impeller is ever damaged, every piece of missing rubber has to be accounted for or problems and/or overheating may develop.

Highlighted
Skipper

Funny thing is the piece that was lodged between the side plate and cylinder plate was about an inch long looked like a common 14/2 neg wire without the wire or hole in the centre...have no clue how it would have got up there.