Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

4 blade prop for 250 E-tec HO on Ranger Z520

I am looking to put a 4 blade prop on my Z520 . The 250 E-tec HO came with a Raker 14 .5" x 24".  I am not interested in top speed.  I would like a quick hole shot and be able to stay on plane at a lower speed,  Makes it easier to jump from spot to spot when not going very far and also handle rough water.  Any recomendations on where to start?

Admiral

Re: 4 blade prop for 250 E-tec HO on Ranger Z520

What speed and rpm are you getting with your present propeller?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

It is an 09 model and I guess I get about 70mph+ at 5500 RPM.  I rarely go that fast  but that is with Jack plate up a high as I can get it with adequate water pressure and trimmed out.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

For better acceleration you can go 1" less pitch in a Renegade Bass prop which will bring the revs up a little bit.

Since you are running a 24" prop, you may have the original L2 gearcase on the motor. The factory has a complimentary exchange program to give you the M2  gearcase with a better gear ratio for improved acceleration along with low water pickups for better cooling. See your dealer for details or call Evinrude customer service.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I was aware of the gearcase issue but when I called both the dealer and customer service a while back and they said I don't qualify for some reason.  Should I try again to get the M2 gearcase?  I have not had any problems and I seem to get adequate water pressure when on plane and trimmed out .  I was really stumped by this issue based on internet forum discussions and wanted to get the new gearcase before I had a problem.

Admiral

The gearcase exchange program is only for certain motors. To find out if yours qualifies, call Evinrude Customer Service with your serial number at 262-884-5993.

Skipper

Okay, thanks for the help.  I'll call Evinrude customer service tomorrow.  I had previosly called Ranger Boats because they originally installed the motor at the factory.  

As an aside can I safely go up to 6000 RPMs if I use a smaller pitched prop?

Admiral

what is the complete model number on your 250 HO?  Some have a 6000 rpm redline and others are at 5800rpm. If you run above the redline, the oiling system goes into overdrive to help protect the motor plus the power band falls off rapidly I'm told.

Skipper

My E-tec 250 is model #E250DHLSEC  and serial #05250033

I e-mailed evinrude customer service with this information and they replied that my motor doses not qualify for a free gearcase changeover to the M2.  Did they change something so my motor did not qualify it seems a bit confusing but I would still like help in getting a 4 blade prop for this motor for the reasons stated in my original post.   I really do appreciate the help.

Highlighted
Admiral

I did some research on your behalf this morning. Take your motor to an authorized Evinrude dealer and have the tech call the dealer toll-free hot-line with your serial number. For good will, the factory should participate in the gearcase exchange with you but you may be required to cover the labor and a new prop, if needed, since your motor is outside of the regular warranty period.

With the gearcase replacement and the new gear ratio, you may need a 25 or 26" prop to be in the correct rpm range. Many dealers have loaner props to help you decide which is best for your application.