Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

4 blade prop verses 3 blade prop

First of all i know that when changing from one to another it a lot of trial and error, but i just would like some comments and opinions on what i am thinking of doing and how well every one thinks it will work.

I have a 2014 135HO that has a 14.5 x 17, 3 blade prop on it and it does run great. I am thinking of putting on a 14.5 x 15, 4 blade prop 

i am hoping on some better fuel economy and a little better hole shots and performance.

Thanks for all opinions and feed back

Admiral

Re: 4 blade prop verses 3 blade prop

What type and size boat and what is your current top rpm trimmed out and the boat's speed?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

21 ft. bay [ Sea Boss ] Top RPM 5600 @ a speed of about 46 mph

Captain

It sounds  like you get fairly good numbers. Are you running a ss prop? How high is the motor sitting? My new 135 with a aluminum Evinrude prop 17” on a 18 foot boat gets only 42 mph.  What are you trying to achieve. It seems like the prop is in the sweet spot. IMO.

Captain

Yes running a SS prop. Do not know what you mean by how high is the motor sitting

Captain

What mounting hole is it in. There is 4 mounting hole for adjusting the height on which the motor sits. Where it’s mounted will affect how the motor will perform. IMO you have good numbers for your motor.. so wanting to change props what are you trying to improve. That’s what would determine what type of prop to buy. Do you need to raise the bow, raise the stern. More top end ?That will determine what prop you want.
Highlighted
Captain

Also going to a 15” will give you a a better hole shot. .. that will put you up to max wot rpm range @ 6k.. 5600 is the where Evinrude considers recommended wot range. sweet spot...... If the boat rides the way you like already than  the 15 is good.  Stay with the same line of prop to get similar behavior., characteristics. Ie  rebel, cyclone etc.   last thing.... you can increase wot by raising the motor up. Research that..a lot of variables.

Captain

It is all the way down to the bottom hole

Admiral

It would probably be to your advantage to raise the motor one hole at a time and test it out for better performance and speed if you are implying that the motor is mounted as low  on the transom as it will go.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I think he’s saying it’s as high as possible.  So are you saying there are 3 holes above your mounting bolt.?