Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

40hp ETEC 2008 cranks, will not start

Hello everybody. Happy New Year!

First, sorry for my poor English.

I ask the forum community to please help me because I have 40hp 2008 E40DSLSEC cranking but not starting.

Description of what happened:

• We had a very nice trolling session day. The weather was hot (30°C+) and the ETEC ran perfectly all the daylong.
  • We finished the session going at the full speed during 5 minutes. All OK
  • Placed the boat on the trailer and came back home
  • Plugged the headphones to flush the engine with fresh water
  • Starting the outboard: it started easily but maybe at higher engine revolutions than usually. and then it died about 3 seconds later
  • Since this moment, no way to start the outboard: it cranks but nothing happens

I have the impression that the outboard was maybe hot, but I had no alarm.

I bought the manual but I do not have the software for diagnostic. I am on a small island in New Caledonia and nobody can help me with the ETEC technology.

I have a recent water/fuel separator and no water is in.

No alarm on the EMM.

I am afraid I could have problems with the injectors since it is “colored” as if it overheated.

etec

Do you have an opinion and what could I do?

Admiral

Re: 40hp ETEC 2008 cranks, will not start

That has to be aggravating.

The first step is to find out if there is an ignition or a fuel problem. Start with a thorough visual inspection including a fuel sample. What condition are the spark plugs ?

If the motor is rope start, make sure it is in neutral and also that the engine neutral switch and wiring are working correctly.  Check compression also to make sure the rest of the motor is OK

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

E40DSLSEC  Evinrude is a 2009 model.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for the answer even I don't really interstand the meaning of "That has to be aggravating."

First step for me is to find the good tools for the spark plugs.
For the fuel problem, what can I do easily ? I have to drain the circuit ?
Highlighted
Admiral

You should first purchase a factory service manual for your 2009 40 HP from:

www.outboardbooks.com

You can use a clip-on timing light to check for spark while the motor is cranking over and an automotive fuel pressure gauge and adapter for determining fuel pressure.

Mate

[ Edited ]

A more confirmed mechanic confirms the problem with at least one of the two injectors.

Do you confirm that if I want to replace the injector, I have to configure something with a computer and the good software ?

Admiral

A tech at a dealership normally has to program a new installed injector with a laptop and diagnostic software, but first has to download the program for that individual injector from the factory dealer website.

Mate

Thanks for the answer.

What kind of information is included in the file that we have to download ?

Admiral

The file for each individual injector contains the calibration programming call coefficients which "tell" the onboard computer - the EMM - how to activate the injector for a precise amount of fuel. That is the reason the Evinrude E-TEC operates with fewer total emissions than any other outboard motor.