Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

5 years and still having issues

Serial number 05380246 250 HO.  Bought this boat new and the engine has been nothing but trouble from the second week of ownership.  So the latest (continuing problem all summer),  is that the boat will not go above 33-38 MPH (GPS verified) full trim-one person on board 1/2 tank or less of gas.  Been working with my dealer and the new plugs put in 3 weeks ago completely fouled as of last Friday.  The reason I was given-I burn XD100 and there is no setting for XD100 so I need to burn XD50.  Fine, paid to clean injectors (which were all crappy because of a recall on a throttle issue back in May).  Paid (I assume) to have the oil changed over to XD50 and yet another set of new plugs.  Went out a couple hours after they put it back in the water, 38 MPH GPS verified.  The mechanic put a case into something called "Boss"? By the way, I have been told that a compression check and leak down test have both been completed and everything is fine. 

I went out Saturday morning, ran it around at different RPM for two hours went back to the dock pulled the #1 plug-completely black and dirty.  Took it over and showed the mechanic-he is as confused as I am.    

Interesting thing I found out while running it around-below 3K RPM holds steady as does speed.  4K RPM within a minute the RPM drops some and the speed drops off.  Slow down and run around 2K for a few minutes, then speed up the RPM and speed comes back for about a minute. My Max RPM per the tech on his computer is 5300 RPM.  There has been no change in prop and the boat bottom was completely pressure washed about 3 weeks ago.  

This is a 23 Manitou Xplode and with this engine the boat should do high 40's to low 50's in speed.  I have not been able to get anywhere near that speed since I intuially took delivery, before my first set of problems.  I have consistantly complained about this and have no resolution.  Gas quality has been checked numerous times-ethanol free premium  and I run 2+4 conditioner all the time.   One top of all this my cowling paint is pealing off at the front and I am told I have to repaint this of course again, at my expense?  

I paid for a powerful engine to move this boat.  What I have is a subpar engine.  I have paid several repair bills this summer and have had years of disatisfaction with this engine.  This engine needs to either be fixed or it needs to get off my boat.  

My understanding is that the field rep is involved, I am calling after sale customer support. when they open. but my patience is out with this engine.  I am not new to boating have a had a variety of boats, worked at marinas, ASE certified in several vehicle systems, I have never had such a horrible, unreliable, and maintance intensive engine as this one.  To top it all off, my cowling paint is bubbled and pealing off the fron of the cowling.  I dont think the ETEC engines are bad-I think I have a bad one that needs to be sent back to the factory and be torn down for analysis.  

Captain

Re: 5 years and still having issues

I'm not a pro or tec just a fellow boater here to say sorry to hear about the issues you've been having and hope you get them resolved. 

Admiral

We are really sorry to hear of your experiences and understand your frustrations. Please send an email with the engine serial number, dealer name and address, and the history of your engine. It will be looked into.

http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

TPS sensor adjusted so hopefully this fixes it.

Captain

An unusual engine histiory. Can you post an engine report? Your dealer should be able to supply one.

Captain

Your tech reported a max rpm of 5300 in the rpm profile report. If the rpm profile has never been cleared then this would indicate that your engine never turned above 5300 rpm.
Did your engine ever run above 5600 rpm?
Skipper

Yes when it was new and I took delivery.  We turned around 6K and 54.1 MPH.  Then the problems started.  I believe the fuel pump was one of the issues.  Prop was changed to a rebel from a viper and the speed was noticabily lower-mid to high 40's. It has been slowing down ever since.  I only have around 115 hours on the engine. 

I am being told that after the TPS adjustment it is turning 5800 and 42 MPH.  This is 6 MPH better then I was able to get the day before-so TPS was part of the issue.  Like BlueWater BIl says-"its never one thing"  Of course the usual of algea growth slowing it down.  The boat was power washed about three weeks ago-you can still see the aluminum toons so it does not have heavy algea growth.  The dealer is very frustrated with me as I with him.  The problem is this is the only evinrude dealer in the area and I just can not get too sideways with them.  Plus I like these guys they are good people. 

One thing I asked yesterday was have they replaced the VST filter.  The delaer did not seem to know what I was talking about.  To be fair I asked the question:  "We replaced the fuel/water seperating filter are their any other filters in the fuel system"  They said no, I pulled the schematic up and the topic was dropped.  Yes, it was a set up question but things were getting a bit testy. 

Now we just cleaned the injectors as they were all nasty.  I had a throttle issue that was part of a recall that completely oiled up the cylinders in May.  We did not clean the injectors at that time maybe we should have?  So as my RPM problems got worse, we cleaned the injectors.  Seems logical if the injectors were all nasty, the return fuel line filter might need to be checked.  It's a $1 part why not change it.

This thing runs and pulls great from idle.  It is the upper RPM range 4K and above that, I believe, it is not developing the horsepower.  This is where the dealer and I have a disagreement.  He believes that if the RPM's are there the horsepower is there.  That is simply not true.  Horsepower involves the right fuel/oil/spark combo.  If one of those elements are off then the horsepower is not there.  

The spark plugs are interesting on this one.  After around 2 hours of run time, on brand new plugs, I pulled the #1 and it was all black-mainly chalky a little moist.  There was fuel oil mixture at the sprak plug seat-might have dripped when I pulled it out?  The threads of both the plug and the head were wet.  I was told yesterday, that this is normal on a conference call with the evinrude field rep.  Is it?  That just does not sound right.  I am mainly a 4 cycle engine guy but I thought they should be toast colored with a little oily or black residue around the base. 

To be fair I should also make it clear that 60% of my run time is below 3K.  I dont run the engine hard and if that is part of the issue, OK I can run it harder.   

Highlighted
Skipper

My dealer and I are currently taking a "break" from each other.  He is the only evinrude dealer in the area and things got a little too heated yesterday for me to go back and start the conversation again.  I like these guys and really do not want to make an enemy.  

Admiral

What is the engine model number?

Over the years there have been service bulletins that may not have been done or complied with.  Your dealer can type in the serial number at the Evinrude Dealer website and it will show everything that applies to the motor. The dealer can then check his records or if warranty, the warranty history to see what was done or not done.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I have the serial number 05380246 2013 250HO but I do not have a model number, handy.  I'm not even sure where I would find it on the engine.