Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: 5 years and still having issues

I found it E250HSLAA

Captain

E-TECs often have sooty, black black plugs even after short runs and especially if not given a WOT bust regularly.

Have the recirculation valves been checked? Can cause more than normal sooting of plugs.

Engine have:

2 X Check valves. In line with hose. They do fail. New part number 5009201.

6 X Check valves. 3 either side of block. Pressed in nipples. (Fairly reliable.) PN 5000477.

2 X Check valves. Crank case drain. Pressed in nipples. (Fairly reliable.) PN 0437784.

Captain

[ Edited ]

On the initial post it was mentioned that since there was no xd100 setting on the motor, you had to change to XD50. Why did you think you had to do that? 

Skipper

Good question, the dealer drained my oil tank which was full of XD100 and  put in a gallon of XD50 saying that the XD100 was too much oil for the engine and causing the plug issues.  The owners manual clearly states that XD100 is preferred.  Another interesting point, I buy all my supplies from them, I bought the boat there, and was told when I bought it that XD100 would be the best oil to use. 

I dont care about the extra cost if it protects the engine better and helps prevent carbon buildup.  Not to mention it doesn't smell with the XD100.  

Skipper

Thanks for the info!   As far as the plugs go, I have not run it since the TPS was adjusted, apparantely the butterfly valves were not opening all the way.  When I ran it after they worked on it, before the TPS was adjusted, I idled away from the dock which is about a football field to exit the idle zone, then ran it for about 2 hours mainly between 3,000-5,000 RPM.  There was minimal idling-just too and from the dock.  The description I gave of the plugs was after that run.  

To the tech's credit, I brought the #1 plug over to him and he looked at it and was in agreement that did not look right.  That is why he went over to check the TPS which resulted in its adjustment.  

I am very sure the check valves have not been checked.  All I keep hearing is that the leak down and compression check are good and the computer says nothing is wrong.  They will not dig anymore.  

I'm thinking my next test is to pull #1 plug and take a picture (before even starting the engine).  Run about 20 minutes at about 1500 RPM.  Stop and pull the #1 plug and take a picture-expect soot and some wetness at that low of an RPM.  Put the plug back in and run it for 45 minutes at 4,000 RPM.  Stop and pull the #1 plug and see what it looks like.  That should give me some indication if I still have an issue.  

Captain

@fastcruising wrote:

Good question, the dealer drained my oil tank which was full of XD100 and  put in a gallon of XD50 saying that the XD100 was too much oil for the engine and causing the plug issues.  The owners manual clearly states that XD100 is preferred.  Another interesting point, I buy all my supplies from them, I bought the boat there, and was told when I bought it that XD100 would be the best oil to use. 

I dont care about the extra cost if it protects the engine better and helps prevent carbon buildup.  Not to mention it doesn't smell with the XD100.  

That has to be the silliest thing Ive have ever heard.  That certainly says alot about your dealer.