Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Re: 60 HP E-TEC 2013 WORST ENGINE I EVER HAD

[ Edited ]

Thanks Rick, I did own quite a few older motors that had this "start block" when in gear for safety purposes, and wouldn't even try starting any motor in gear anyway; but I was asking about the smaller lever on top of the remote (fast idle?), as I am guilty of having opened this one up slightly to facilitate a start up at times, particularly after coming back home and wanting to flush the motor when it would take a few attempts to get it started (as opposed to cold starts where it only takes one key stroke to get it purring with zero throttle).

Was this wrong?  (Just want to make sure I'm not damaging anything by doing this)

Highlighted
Captain

You won't hurt anything raising the warm up lever partially. Fully raising the control box lever is part of initiating the winterization procedure so that could cause some strange behavior.
Highlighted
Captain

MFG64,

That lever WAS a "fast idle / warm-up" lever used ONLY with the OLDER CARBURATED engines.

The new Etec direct injection engines operate SOLELY BY COMPUTER CONTROL for all engine operations! Except of course, in gear throttle advancement. The function of that lever IS ONLY FOR INITIATING WINTERIZATION PURPOSE NOW with direct fuel injected engines!

The EMM (computer) takes care of ALL functions needed for starting whether hot or cold! If conditions warrant higher idle and / or a "richened" (or choked") operation when cold... the computer software & system of sensors takes everything into account for starting. No further procedures are necessary other than turning a key (for electric start) or pulling a cord for (manual start) models! The EMM automatically does EVERYTHING necessary!

As Rick said previously, raising that lever, mechanically & electrically "tells" the EMM software to get "ready to run" the "winterization" algorithm. Doing ANYTHING MORE than that can potentially cause some "squirrelly" behavior to occur! These modern High-tech Etec engines ARE NOT your father's old 2 stroke engines.

Best regards,
Lakerider
Highlighted
Mate

Highlighted
Mate

Have you ever read the Florida Lemon Laws? You might be able to get a new motor.