Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

90hp 2006 Etec Hard to start

Just bought a boat with a 90hp etec,  starts just OK, if you turn it off and try again, it just turns over. The battery is new and fully charged. Just had it serviced at a authorized dealer. and he can't find the problem. Does anyone have any ideas    Brian

Mate

Re: 90hp 2006 Etec Hard to start

I  have a simular problem with '08 75 hp E-Tec.   replaced batteery, starter, still will not start.  Will take to certified tech this week end and wait 2 weeks for check up

Admiral

briamill,

Normally if a motor in good condition won't start, there is either the wrong amount of fuel or insufficient ignition output. A trained technician would monitor the fuel pressures and the spark while cranking the motor over and would refer to the diagnostic software on the laptop for any error codes or abnormalities.  Evinrude also has a toll-free dealer support hot-line for US and Canadian dealers to access if they are having problems diagnosing an engine. Ask your dealer to take advantage of the factory's help.  If you do not get any satisfaction, then call Evinrude customer service at 262-884-5993

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

rci,

It's best to start a new thread when asking a question about your own motor instead of hijacking another person's thread.  That way it avoids confusion when several motors and different situations are being discussed.

When you say it won't start, do you mean that your 75hp will not crank over when you turn the key? If so, that is a completely different situation than the problem briamill  has with his 90hp.  We will also need you motor's complete model number to help you.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Hey Guys, the same problem with me.  have not had the battery tested but on a full charge, engine is sluggish on start.  Once the engine has been started and run.  starting up is not a problem.  starts right up.  I hook the battery up to a battery conditioner after each use.  still sluggish. 

Skipper

Hey Brian:
similar problem. 2006 e-tec purchased new to me. I hook up the battery to a conditioner after every use. still sluggish. even if I have to use a booster box. once the engine has run everything is good.
Admiral

The engine is going on its 12th year which means it should be at least ready for its 4th complete dealer servicing. If you saved the previous 3 engine reports and invoices, you should have a historical trend as to the condition of your motor.

Chances are the starter is getting worn, cables may be a bit corroded internally, plugs worn, muffler filter plugged, compression down from wear or stuck rings, etc.  

The engine needs basic servicing checks, cranking voltage tests, along with fuel system and ignition output inspections. After those are done and any repairs accomplished along with any needed software updates, the motor should be starting much better.

Some years after its 2004 introduction, there was a starter motor change which helped cold starting immensley. Ask your dealer if yours is one of the newer style starters.

Skipper

thank you. I printed out your reply and am taking the engine in for a complete service. As always I appreciate your insightful advice. happy holidays.
Skipper

Just a quick question. I have opted to replace the starter (myself) before I take the engine in for a complete service. my question to you, will the new starters found online be the updated version required to make cold starts easier? or is the starter a special model? thanks. dana
Admiral

The new starter has a gear reduction system and either needs a new flywheel cover or a small area cut out for clearance. It would be best to consult a dealer to be sure you order the correct one. Many online places will not return or exchange electrical items, plus a starter is heavy and return postage is expensive.