Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

90hp ETEC "Low Oil' & "No Oil" Alarms

I am a new Evinrude owner and I am starting to have buyer's remorse.  I recent purchased a new 90hp ETEC and started having problems with the "Low Oil" light coming on randomly even with a full tank of oil.  Dealer was not able to determine problem because the problem was intermittent.  At the 35 hr mark the "No Oil" alarm came on and the motor went into safe mode.  After limping back to the ramp I took the motor to my local dealer only to find out that the oil pump had failed.  They told me they had tried to get the part but were told the oil pump was on back order and that I would not see a pump for over a MONTH!!!  This is not acceptable!!!!

I am so angry right now I can hardly stand it.  I guess my only recourse is to get the message out on as many social media sites as I can to let prospective customers know what to expect when dealing with BRP. 

BRP - you have a chance to make this right, making a customer wait a month for a warrantied part is not the way to earn a dedicated owner.  With a part that is back ordered for a month tells me you had a problem with it to begin with. Should have issued a recall!!!

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 90hp ETEC "Low Oil' & "No Oil" Alarms

We are sorry to hear of your recent experience with an Evinrude outboard and can understand your frustration.

There are  2 types of 90 HP motors, a 3 cylinder with a built in oil tank and a V4 model with a remote oil tank. The lubrication systems and pumps are comepletely different on both models.

Please send an email to brp.care@brp.com with the model and serial number, your contact information, dealer name, and a brief history of your experiences.  Your inquiry will be looked into.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Just to let the readers of this post know, in case anyone else is experiencing this problem, it is a 3 cylinder with the built in oil tank.  I will send an email as suggested and I sincerly hope that I will be able to report back to this post that the long wait time was resolved.

Highlighted
Skipper

Hi im sorry to hear about your 90, not shur whats up with brp my self,
I had a 06 90 and just sold it with my boat, i had no problems with mine, thats why i bought another brp motor, this time i bought a 200 ho g2 on my alumacraft, i have 5.5 hrs on it and it locked up yestrday! Im not to happy either
Highlighted
Mate

I have similar problem with my 3-cyl 90hp 2004.

As I have understood, the early models had a too sensitive pressure transmitter.

The solution is new oiltank and pump + a software uppdate when changing for a newer type of oil tank/pump unit.

Even though i run on XD-100, the problem is more frekvent at colder wheather.

At cold wheather or if boat has been sittting for a while, i prevent his by doing a winterezation before heading out.

Highlighted
Mate

Update

Reached out to BRP Care and was contacted promptly by a representative.  They are diverting an oil pump from an assembly facility to my local dealer.  It is suppossed to be here in a day or two.  It looks like BRP is working aggressively to get my problem resolved.

Highlighted
Admiral

That is great news ! 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.