Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

95 115HP Evinrude slow crank

G'day all

The weather down in NZ has been a bit average the last few weeks, so when we had the opportunity to get out on Sunday I jumped at it.

As I normally do, I started the motor on a hose the day before - it can be a hard start when its been sitting for a few weeks (about 7 in this case) - and I much rather get to the boat ramp and just start and go.

On the Saturday (with the hose) the motor would only crank over very slowly, kind of (whoooow,,,, whoooow,,,, whooow) - have to add that the battery cables were getting hot, added jumpers form the car and it started (after its normal  start, stall, start, backfire, stall, start run for 30 seconds then die, start end now it idles).

Got to the ramp on Sunday and back to the slow crank, pull it out, and again on a hose start it (with a jump) and let it idle (easy start). Back at the ramp, no drama.

Later, now on the water, slow crank going no-ware..

On Monday I went out a bought a new battery.

• Old battery 470CCA
  • New battery 780CCA 

Hooked it up and same thing, slow crank. Didn’t have time to try and jumpstart it, but I did put the battery on a charger.

It now feels like it wasn’t the battery with the problem, but, where do I start looking?

Thanks heaps

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 95 115HP Evinrude slow crank

[ Edited ]

If the cables got hot, and they are correct size and not internaly corroded, then the starter is drawing too much current due to internal problems or a tight engine

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Oh, and I should have mentioned... I took the sparkplugs out and spun the motor without ANY drama.
Highlighted
Admiral

Did the starter also get hot? If so, chances are it needs to be replaced or rebuilt as long as the motor turns over easily.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Unfortunately I never checked. And just to put things in perspective, by hot I mean I could touch / hold the cable but I probably wouldn't
want to grip it tight for say 30 seconds or so.
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

way too hot, on a good system you will feel none to very little heat, if any.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks heaps BluewaterBill

I ordered a new starter and solenoid, waiting on delivery.

However I thought, in the meantime, I’ll take some jumpers and see if I jump over the solenoid, and the starter spins it’s clearly the solenoid, if not it’s likely to be the solenoid.

I then thought, let me jump from the battery to the starter, no harm in just checking. Bingo!! I goes like a rocket.

Pulled out the battery cable running between the battery and the outboard. It’s almost like a very heavy gauge speaker wire (OMC branded), and at some point in its life someone tore it open a bit more, damaging the insulation on the positive side. Clearly though the years (I’ve only owned the boat for the last two), the sea and rain water that managed to make its way in there virtually destroyed the cable.

So, I ran down to the local Auto Electrician and had a new cable made up. I’ve never heard the outboard spin that good. It starts so much easier now as well.I realise that this isnt marine grade cable, and will fail again in future, but the way I see it, I managed to get out on the water this weekend, and if the cable lasts me two years, fine. At leat I know what to look out for now.

Now I need to make a call with what I’m gona do with the starter and solenoid..

Highlighted
Captain

Spares on the shelf are a great idea!  I also keep a trim and tilt relay and water pump for spares too.