Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Accepted Solution

Advice

I  had just purchased a 14' Saturn inflatable boat, and I am not sure if I should go with the 20HP or the 15HP I will be doing a lot of trolling however I would like to scoot across the lakes at a fairly fast pass?  I will however have to put it on and remove the motor to transport.

Admiral

Re: Advice

[ Edited ]

Are you looking for a used or new motor?

If new, your choices are the 15HO E-TEC and the 25 or 30 E-TEC. Unfortunately none are easily portable for one person to carry. The 25 Evinrude  weighs about 146 pounds and that is lighter than the 25hp outboards built by Honda, Mercury(Tohatsu),  or Yamaha which is as heavy as 170 pounds.

Due to EPA regulations, the relatively lightweight 2-stroke carbureted motors are no longer allowed to be sold in the USA by a manufacturer. Existing motors in use are still allowed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Because you will have to remove the motor each time for usage , I would suggest getting a 9.9-15hp,  20hp and above would be too much.

Admiral

Bryanboat,

Evinrude does not make a 9.9 or a portable 15hp. the 15HO weighs more than the 25 because of its heavier mounts and power trim.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

[ Edited ]

Correct for a new model, but they sure did in earlier models which would probably be his best route.