Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Alarm on 95 25 hp

My alarm goes on as soon as I turn the key to the on position. I disconnected the temp sensor and it remains the same. The engine has been sitting for 3 years. I did get it started after repairing broken starter mounting bolts and a carb rebuild. It does not want to idle either. The water pump does seem to be working fine without overheating. Frustrating, because the engine was supposed to be good running when I bought a raggetty pontoon 2 years ago. I should have looked at it more closely. Model number is E25ELEOA. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike sr.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Alarm on 95 25 hp

Look at the warning horn to see if it is the original 2 connection horn or the newer replacement 3 connection horn which has a short black ground wire in addition to the purple and the tan wires.

If it is a 2 connection horn then your problem is a short to ground somewhere in the length of the tan wire.

If it is a 3 connection horn, remove the black ground wire and see if the sound disappears which happens if the horn is faulty. Look for shorts to ground in the tan wire if the black wire disconnect did not help.

This assumes that the wiring harness is hooked up correctly and no crossed wires.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

A boatload of thanks for your reply! I am going to get at it this weekend and follow your test procedures. I will let you know the hopefully good results.

Mike Sr.

Highlighted
Mate

Found the 3 wire alarm was shorting out, so I diconnected it. She now starts right up. The control unit had been fooled with before. Loose wires everywhere and some retaining pieces just laying in there. A bit of housekeeping in there seems to have got me in business. I am looking for a used alarm to install, but she is pumping water very strogly in the meantime. 

Thanks again for the helpful info!

Mike Sr

Highlighted
Admiral

Did the alarm stop when you disconnected the black ground wire but left the other 2 intact? If so, you may continue to use the warning horn, it just won't have the initial self test beep when you first turn the key to ON. Test its operation  by jumping the tan temp sensor wire to ground to make sure the horn sounds while the key is ON and the black wire disconnected.

If you run without a warning horn, you wil not be alerted if there is an overheating problem until you hear that little squeak of death as the motor locks up.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.