Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Alarm sounding on my 40hp Johnson

I have recently purchased my first boat, so if I am a bit clumsy in my descriptions, thats why =). I have been out a few times and all was well. The last trip we were going quite fast and after 15 minutes or so the a alarm signal goes of, when turning of the engine it continue for maby a minuet and then stops. Same thing happend two times. 

I had a look on the tell tale while I was driving and I think it looks like it should, a jet of water. 

Is this a overheating alarm? Why would it overheat when the cooling looks to be working by the tell tale? Any suggestions would be helpfull.

From an earlier discution here, my engine seems to be a jonhson 40 hp from between 89 and 93.

Thanks guys!

Admiral

Re: Alarm sounding on my 40hp Johnson

Can you post the engine model number from the serial number tag?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I do not have the tag, but with the help from this form it looks to be a 40hp from 89 to 93 and i have power trim and electric tilt so I would say between J40TTCE and J40TTE3
Admiral

The nice feature of this website is that you do not have to post duplicate questions. We are already answering your queries in your other posting.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Hi, I'm so sorry if I have been confusing. Yes I have another question about the model number, but this question is about the overheating problem I'm having. Sorry again for the confusion.
Skipper

Hi guys, I was out today and had a new symtom. After fishing for a couple of hours, I turn on the engine and immediately get a steady warning sound. I shut it off but then when I just turn the ignition i get the sound. It can be a coincidence but after I pumped the oil blader it stopped.

What do you think, could it be a faulty sensor?
Admiral

A steady horn sound is an overheat condition.

If you have the VRO (OMS) oil system operational:

An on and off beep of about 1 second each is a NO OIL condition

A beep about every 20-30 seconds means the oil tank is getting low

If there is a problem in the warning system, the wiring, or some other abnormality, then  you may or may not receive a warning or may experience  erratic warning horn sounds.

If you are unsure, you will need to refer to the correct factory service manual or to a trained technician.

For a manual, order from :  www.outboardbooks.com