Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Am I correct in thinking this should have been covered under warranty?

[ Edited ]

Re: 2018 135 HO with the ten year warranty. First season (late in the season last year) it threw some ‘hot air sensor’ alarms when trolling. Due to where I was living (no Evinrude dealers around) I pulled the boat out and winterized it. We ended up moving to an area that had an Evinrude dealer close by. Then the Covid thing hit so they weren’t doing servicing. Anyway just recently got it in and I finally got the boat back from the Evinrude dealer today.

I was told last year by one dealer (the one that sold the motor to the hull builder) that there was a firmware update that would fix the ‘hot air sensor’ alarm and likely the fact that it wasn’t displaying the ‘winterization complete’ readout on the Icon Pro gauges. He started a ticket on the issues with Evinrude.

Picked up the boat today and got charged for the firmware update, checking that the update fixed both the ‘hot air sensor’ alarm and that it went through the winterization process correctly. I have questioned them on not covering the update and to ensure the update corrected the 'hot air sensor' issue and the 'winterization' issue.  Their tech confirmed that the boat is now working correctly - both winterization and no more 'hot air sensor' alarms.  

They are looking into the warranty coverage, but wondering what your thoughts are? What are my options, should they come back and tell me these things are not covered?  Thanks.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Am I correct in thinking this should have been covered under warranty?

I am a dealer tech in the southern US. Updates that all engines need are covered by warranty.
The "air temperature" update is only needed on some engines and should be covered if your engine report shows that your engine has set air temp codes. Your current dealer is taking the proper steps to get this covered.
Highlighted
Captain

Copy, thank you.

Highlighted
Captain

Well, no reply from BRP after their initial email.  Guess that says it all.

Bend over boys and girls.