Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain
Accepted Solution

Antifreeze or not

Im in the middle of preparing my johnson outboard to the, so there is alot of posts right now. Some people tell me that I should make sure to flush my engine cooling canals with antifreeze to avoid ice tearing it apart. Reading guides from shops I have not seen anything of this. I also read some where that this is no longer done as all water is drained from the canals.

What do you seasoned boater say? Do I need to put antifreeze in? In that case what kind?

Captain

Re: Antifreeze or not

FWIW my brothers and I run up to a dozen OBs between us each year and I take care of a fleet of another few dozen small OBs (2 to 15hp) for my boat club ... and I have never, ever done that in my life! However, on OBs with thru-prop exhaust, make sure to keep the OB motor straight up and down when winterizing and for the Winter storage. 

I do know of someone who trimmed up their motor and the lower unit exhaust hub filled with rain water and then froze ... and yes, it caused damage. 

Admiral

Follow the winterization steps as outlined in the correct owners manual. If you do not have one, check with www.outboardbooks.com or your dealer, depending on how old the motors are.

Anti-freeze is not needed in Evinrude or Johnson  outboard motors.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

People tell me that I need to add glycol to stop corrosion as I run in salt water all season. Any truth to that or is this just how the glocol sales conspiracy operates?

Admiral

No truth to the anti-freeze urban legend, it would drain out right away anyway.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Self draining, no need. Like above, store in down position

Captain

Okay, and one more question (I think I know the answer but gotta ask)... what about some 'salt away' with the final fresh water flush before winterizing it?  (For us salt water users that have the boat in all season).

Captain

ahhhhh... did a search and found this post from BluewaterBill.  Thought I would post his post rather than just delete mine.  Hope that's okay...

Flushing your motor using the garden hose fitting backwashes fresh water through the fuel cooler, EMM coolant passage, the engine block, and waterpump. Because the water is running through a 3/8" diameter pipe, then through 5/16" hoses, there is not a lot of water flow. There is enough to run the motor at idle only or you can just let the water run for about 10 minutes. Hook up your Salt-Away adapter to the hose then to the motor if you wish. Support everything if the adapter is used so as not to put a strain on the engine grommet.