Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Anyone with a new 135 HO

Would like to hear from anyone with a newer 135HO, wondering if the overheat issues are still happening. Figure I'll end up with a 2018 model
Admiral

Re: Anyone with a new 135 HO

What type of overheat issues are you having?  A knowledgeable tech should be able to correct anything that is the engine's fault and should be able to recognize if it is a boat, transducer, or some other type of disturbed aerated water condition.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Sorry, no issues. I ordered a new boat a couple weeks ago with this motor. Will receive in a couple months and am still looking up info on it. I haven't seen anything on this motor dated after 2016 as far as problems so figured I would ask. Regardless of issues I am excited about it
Admiral

Congrats on the new boat. You will love the 135 HO as it is not only a well-proven and solid design, but it is almost as strong as the 150 HP model and surprises a lot of people with its performance.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks, it appeared pretty awesome in reviews and videos,. But of course some will have problems, plus I have the feeling on other sites that it's more of view points from folks either without one or that don't like two strokes and they down talk them. So figured I would throw it out on here and see what responses I get. I've only ever dealt with older rudes from the 90s
Captain

I’ll chime in. I had mine 3 month now. No issues...... only big smiles. For propping depends on boat 15 to 17 Max . the 17 on my 1500 lbs boat puts me at the bottom of wot range. Look at 15 or 16 inch imo.
Skipper

Thanks, will see what they put on it. According to my rep they have a rude tech who assists them determining what prop to put on for specific boat, then they take it to lake and run them prior to delivery. Hopefully it gets here with the best suited.
Admiral

That sounds like a competent dealer. When you get it, write back and tell us all about the rig and how it performs for you.

Skipper

Will do
Skipper

Welcome to the club.  Got my 135 HO this Spring when I re-powered my 27 year-old 18 ft aluminum Lund Tyee. The dealer installed the motor one hole higher than the old 150 and the boat would take a left turn above 25 mph.  The motor came without a torque tab so I installed one and it helped a little.  The boat would also porpoise a little at wot with about a 200 rpm fluctuation (5300-5500) We added Baystar hydraulic steering and lowered the motor all the way down on the transom (one hole) and low and behold, the boat rides higher in the water with no porpoising and no ventillation.   I'm running 48 mph at 5300 with a 19 pitch SS Viper.  Even with the 19" pitch, it has a hole-shot that is almost scary so I really don't want/need a lower pitch.  It's on plane and accelerating hard in about 3 seconds.  The motor has a lot of torque.  It's a lot quieter than the old motor and gas consumption seems to be about 30% better when I drive it sanely.  Little bit of smoke for the first couple of hours as it's double oiling for break-in but after break-in, I haven't noticed any smoke at all.  It starts very quickly and idles smoothly.  My first impression of the motor is...I like it...a lot.