Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Bad experience with E-Tec

Had my wife’s mother and daughter in town and decided to take them out on the gulf on my tri-toon along with my wife, my mother and sister. Got out a ways, shut off the e-tec 150 and went to restart and nothing. Made for a long, stressful evening. Not cool. Took it to the dealer and they said the EMM went bad and they do that with no warnings. They quoted $2000. $2000 for a engine computer? Ouch! The dealer said it would be about 2 weeks and only take about 1 hour to change when they get the new one. I plan on washing my hands of this brand and read reviews on my next brand choice. I see now it’s a common expensive problem.  

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Bad experience with E-Tec

Sorry to hear of your experience.  If I was you I would join a few different engiine manufacturer forums.  You will soon see that they all have problems and from my experience, often it is Evinrude that will 'go the extra mile' for you.  

Highlighted
Skipper

I was really blown away by the cost to evinrudes weak spot. The newest iPhone costs half the price and can pretty much run half a city.
Highlighted
Captain

but the iPhone can't run ur boat

Highlighted
Captain

Did they try a recovery of the EMM before quoting a new one. Year model?

Highlighted
Skipper

Yup. No signal coming out at all. Apparently all info is gone

Highlighted
Skipper

Guess you haven’t had one go bad yet? It’s not a maintenance issue that can be prevented. It’s a design flaw that’s way overpriced. These really aren’t all that hi-tech or bulletproof

Highlighted
Captain

What year is your engine and how many hours on it?

Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

To try to receive information from a 'dead' EMM is often possible by disconnecting Plug J2. At least that way it may have some information on the root cause of failure as well as the program required for the new EMM.

Not knowing your model number, here are the prices for EMMs in Australia, converted to U$ dollars.

2007 150 HP  around: U$ 1400.

2009 150 HP  around: U$ 1150.

AA model 150 around: U$ 1175.

Highlighted
Admiral

We are sorry to hear that your engine experienced an EMM failure.  Please ask your dealer to contact Evinrude dealer service and see if any consideration could be extended to the cost of the EMM. You may also contact Evinrude with the engine serial number, dealer name, and a brief history of the motor.

http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

Electronic components are very expensive as they have to withstand a great amount of abuse, voltage fluctuations, temperature changes, and long periods of vibration. Some other outboard manufacturers have onboard computers that cost far in excess of the price you were quoted. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.