Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: Bad experience with E-Tec

So I just got my boat back today with the new EMM. It was $31.00 for the first diagnosis, $1,814.50 for a new EMM, $218.75 to install and adjust the new unit. With taxes the whole bill came to $2,204.27. Not to mention I was stranded out in the gulf with a Tri-toon full of cold women of all ages. The dealer said two more boats came in with the same issue since mine did. Yeah, this boat/motor is going up for sale this weekend. If I had a car with a known industry flaw that would leave me stranded and be expensive, I’d get rid of it. 

Captain

Wonder why you posted here at all. You didn’t heed any of the advice given, just venting.
Not knowing location of boat, age and hours on engine, it’s not possible to give a proper price estimate.
Check message # 8. If the prices you are posting are in the US, you have been ripped off.
You mentioned 2 more EMMs gone since yours at this Dealership. Do you care to divulge who this dealer is? They must be making a motza.
Skipper

I called around here in Florida and got quoted about the same price. Why should I get ahold of evinrude and tell them I want a lower price? Why should anyone have too? They already sold these at full price when they sold the motors. Now they take them in, change a chip and a resistor and sell them again at a crazy price. The motor is a 2007 with 800 hours. I put a hundred hours on it in the 3 years I’ve had it. I understand if a motor breaks down for various reasons, but to put a motor out with weak electronics so they can make money is bad for the consumers, not the company. 

Admiral

E-TEC  EMM units are not rebuilt and resold.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I'm all for quality motors with quality parts BUT seewms like 12 years and 800 hours of use in a harsh environment before a significant repair is pretty good.

I'm not talking about how your dealer is treating you or commenting on the pricing.

Highlighted
Captain

I never keep my engine past the warranty time, mostly I sell it with 10 month warranty left and buy a new one. Never ever did I have a bad experience.I had my 250 G2 blow up wth 75 hrs. I was off the water for less than a week. BRP has the best customer service.Especially if you use your engine commercially it's irresponsable to keep it past the warranty time.

Captain

My understanding is that an E-Tec should be serviced every three years, correct?  Not pointing fingers here, but it would be interesting to see how service / maintenance plays into engine problems down the road.

I haven't got my new engine yet so am not up on all the nuances and service requirements.   

Skipper

my 40 etec is a 2017,has 140 hours on it.i took it out this morning to run it  before the spring camping/fishing trip.it went into safe mode and i'm pretty sure the waterpump is done in.this does not bode well.it hasn't even had the 3 year/300 hour sevice yet and it's already breaking down.

Admiral

Going into the SAFE mode could mean several things. What warning light came on?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

all of them.and no water coming out.