Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: Bad experience with E-Tec

All 4 warning lights on the SystemCheck stayed on?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

yes,all 4.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

@BluewaterBill wrote:

All 4 warning lights on the SystemCheck stayed on?

@hemifoot wrote:

yes,all 4.

____________________________________________________________________________________

All 4 warning lights staying on could mean a bad gauge, shorted wiring, or possibly a faulty EMM that is sending multiple false warning signals. There is not much you can do except do a visual check of the wiring and connectors in the warning system (tan and tan/striped wires) or substituting a known good SystemCheck gauge.

With that type a super rare symptom of all 4 lights remaining on, it would be advisable to have a trained technician perform an engine history download and troubleshoot the motor for you.

Had there been any service or additions to the boat or motor prior to this problem?

Had anything unusual happened, perhaps a nearby lightning strike, sinking, accident, battery connected backwards, etc.?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

touch troll control and an nmea were installed over the winter.both plugged to proper connetors and both are reading and sending proper signals.i can't see why that would affect the water pump.

Admiral

The 4 lights staying on in the SystemCheck gauge is the priority as that should never happen and could mean electrical anomalies in the electronics.

If the pump failed at the same time, that is easily replaced

Skipper

[ Edited ]

this is just great.total electrical failure and a mechanical failure to top it off.this is adding up to be a great fishing season.i managed to book an appointment for mid april.fingers crossed i get to use it more than once before labour day.how am i supposed to have any confidence in a motor that fails this spectacularly?

Captain

A lot of the "no water output" that we see after off season storage is due to bugs getting into the water outlet. But that may just be in the south.
Skipper

[ Edited ]

i've been going over the old post's about emm failures.the gist is ,don't run it enough it fails,run it too much and get it too hot, it fails and best of all ,there's no problem with etec emm's.(do you still believe that?) can't wait till it fails again while i'm out in inclement weather and my boat sinks because i have no power.sorry for the rant,but 140 hours?come on.the only saving grace is i have 10 years of warranty.i'm going to need every bit of it,i think.

Captain

As a dealer tech I can say yes, a small percentage of EMMs fail and some work fine for over 2000 hours. I have replaced a few but never twice on the same engine. I've had a few that sunk and stayed under for a few days and are still running good. A history of a few overheats does not hurt them. Running an engine for an hour in S.A.F.E mode with an overheat alarm on will damage any engines electronics.
If I had a customer with a 2nd EMM failure I'd look for the root cause.
Captain

[ Edited ]

Did you try to disconnect the touch troll and NMEA? If you did, did it have any effect on the lights?

There are no relation between the electrical system and pump except severe overheat can damage components.

There are a few ways to damage a water pump. 

Most common: Running motor with a dry pump (No water supply) starts burning impeller blades and plastic housing from 8 seconds.

Motor stored for long time without being rotated. Impeller wing(s) can vulcanize to liner walls and break of at start-up.

Motor run with insufficient water supply.

Piking up a plastic bag or debris blocking intake.