Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Battery Question

Hello everyone, I’m new here as well as a new boat owner. I recently purchased a 2009 Ranger 177 TR that is powered by a 2009 Evinrude ETEC 115 HO. My question concerns batteries. I currently have two batteries in the boat. One that solely runs the trolling motor and the other is the starting battery that also runs everything else on the boat. I currently have one humminbird series 363 fishfinder at the console but I am upgrading and ordered two humminbird helix 7 si units. One will be installed at the console and the other at the bow. My question is, will the starting battery be able to handle the extra load of the two new humminbird units or should I connect another battery parallel to the starting battery to increase my capacity? I guess another question would be, does my Evinrude alternator have enough output to charge two batteries? If I am posting in the wrong section, I apologize. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated though. Thank you.
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Battery Question

Leave the trolling motor battery or batteries independent.  A second battery, a large deep cycle type works better for running the boat electronics, can easily be installed with a 1-2-ALL battery selector switch and an Evinrude accessory battery isolator charging cable. That way your batteries will have independent charging and regulation whenever the motor is running. The "house battery" can also serve as an emergency start battery should the engine battery ever run down.

See your dealer for pricing and more information.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Admiral

5006253 115-300 HP Auxiliary Battery Charging Kit (16' long)

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Hi there. I have a 2012 115hp evinrude.
Apparently the computer drops the charge to 25 anps when using the auxiliary cord. Is this correct. If so.. Would that be enough to charge a deep cycle battery?
Thanks
Steve
Highlighted
Captain

Yes, as long as you have less than 24 amps of boat accessories running on the battery.
Normal boat loads draw less than 15 amps so with everything on you would still have 10 amps left for charging.
The auxillary charging cable splits the 50 amp charging system in half and provides two 25 amp charging outputs.
Note- all charging systems have low output at idle and are designed for normal use. If you cruise at night at low speed for hours with a 4000 watt stereo and 8 spot lights running it may not charge the battery. A voltmeter can be installed monitor battery voltage.
Highlighted
Mate

Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciate it