Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Boat is plowing

Set up: 1976 Lund Deluxe runabout tri hull. 2016 Evinrude Etec 40hp
Issue is I can’t seem to get boat to not plow they water and need bit more lift. Motor runs great, dealer sold me new prop (higher pitch I believe) and it helped a tiny bit. Yes weight is plowing n back of boat. Hoping for a recommendation on prop? Was thinking maybe a Viper TBX? Also, although I realize most hydrofoils are utilized to bring bow down and provide stability; I am under impression that is primarily the ones with downturned edges/Tabs. Recommendations on any that may just provide stability and possible lift in bow on plane?
Thanks!
So happy with my Evinrude
Admiral

Re: Boat is plowing

First you have to determine if there is a "hook" in the keel or if the transom is soft and moving outward during acceleration or at speed.  Either or both conditions contribute to the bow plowing, especially on an older boat like yours.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

There are many factors that should be considered as possible causes of this..and to be clear you said 'plowing' which implies the nose of the boat is going down, not pointing to the sky as you take off?

1/ weight distributiion..is there a deck on the front, live well, batteries, fuel tank? too much up front will obviously push the nose down and cause it to plow instead of plane.

2/ motor installation and trim..there are videos on youtube on how to install your motor. it's not just a matter of drop in on the transom and go. Assuming you have the motor on the highest trim setting possible?

3/ HP..the simple fact is your boat might just need more HPs. what is the weight of your boat? a Lund Trihull is a pretty solid boat? you might just need more motor.period!!

4/ and definitely what Bill said..if that old transom is flexing under load it's just pointing your motor trim lower. you may have a serious issue with your boats structural strength. push down on the motor as it's sitting on the trailer..does the transom bend backward? It shouldn't!! Then drill a couple small holes in the transom and see what comes out..water and soft punky wood bits? you're boat is screwed..

5/ motor mounts..there are small rubber 'biscuits' between the motor and transom bracket. if they are worn or broken the motor will be moving a great deal as the power goes to the prop. if the pressing down on the motor test didn't show the transom bending..did the motor move excessively?

A fin on your motor will most likely only force the nose down more as this is what they are intended. I put one on my boat since 90% of the time I'm out I'm solo..so there isn't much weight up front. It has helped me get the nose down and the boat on plane much faster on takeoff.

A higher pitch prop will definitely help with your holeshot, get that nose up and give you a better chance of getting to plane. But you need to know the pitch you need unless you have someone with a bunch of test props to play with. A 40HP on that boat will likely need a good power prop..at or near the highest pitch available. Also understand that as you move up in pitch you lose top end speed.

Hope this helps..with some more info we may be able to help more.

Skipper

Gentleman, than you for your responses. Unfortunately none of them apply. I had transom replaced with new marine grade wood several years ago. It is solid as new & is less then 5 years new. Boat is beyond mint condition in every respect. Motor was installed properly by authorized dealer of Evinrude and I do believe they did everything above board from what I can see. Weight on boat is Not in front, it’s all in the back. Max HP for boat is 40hp I cannot or rather should not increase.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Is it a 315 Deluxe? If so the boat is 14'11" and only weighs 500# with a max. 40  hp rating.

If the transom was replaced, what is the angle in relation to the keel?  It should be about 12-13°. If greater than 14° that could contribute to the problem.

What make and model propeller and what pitch is it?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Well. Yes it is. Deluxe. 15’11” actually su just under 16’ feet. When rooted wood in transomas replaced outer fiberglass shell as not disturbed. We’re able to remove transom rot/wood from inside of boat, so angle and such has not changed in the least. Prop is an Evinrude prop from dealer that installed motor, and we have hon up 1 pitch I believe last year in an attempt to fix issue. I spoke with them last week and they are willing to re-look but of course we need to wait for lakes to open here as they are still very much frozen.
Captain

[ Edited ]

Hope you get to the root of this..

Skipper

Thanks, back to drawing board I guess. I’ll just buy a lot of props and figure it out
Admiral

Is the engine's anti-ventilation plate (wrongly called a cavitation plate) at or below the keel of the boat? Plowing can also be caused by a long shaft motor - 20" - on a 15" transom.

Skipper

I cannot recall at moment, but proper placement of engine was real concern of mine. In my limited & humble opinion I wanted an Evinrude as my top and really only choice I had noticed on here a common theme as it were. The. Dealer or marine that installed or serviced the engine seemed to be a major factor in solving issues or creating them (along with owner). I felt very confident in the shop I chose and still do. Set up was a major concern as I knew it was an important issue. All I know for fairly certain is it’s correct. I have had two of these boats; gave other to a friend of mine. Only difference with this one is I have two trolling batteries versus one (yes located in back. Virtually 0 weight in front. I took pics of my props. Original prop on engine was a Rubex 41 15. After first year I spoke to dealer about lift and he chose a different prop a Rubex. 10 16. I’m not sure if those names or #s mean anything. I’m assuming the pitch but got photos of all numbers on prop so if those don’t help let me know I was thinking the raker hd? (Think I listed wrong earlier in post) says superior bow lift; would do the job. Dealers prop change made a slight difference but not nearly enough. I get spray and of course porposing because I’m trimming engine too high to lift front. Boat actually goes faster then my old 70s mercy did on other boat and that rode beautifully. So even plowing the engines great and 0 issues. And rev is in line (as I recall from manual and checking) appreciate you revisiting and I get why 40 year old boat is skeptical but I’m confident it’s solid. Dealer said he “might” go out on water come spring if time but I’ve never heard of dealer here eager to do that. I’m will to spend the 5 bills on the raker just wish to know if it will work on mine (not a G2) and do You believe it might help? As you seem to know