Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Burned EMM after using trim

Hi

First of all, sorry for my bad english i`m norwegian.Smiley Happy

I have a smal boat bussines in Norway and a have a big problem with an 2007 115 E- tech.

I have tryed to get some help from several norwegian dealerships but no ones has heard of my problem.

It all started with an bad trim motor. It was changed by an genuine delership.

when the customer launched it after service and took it out, he trimed the engine down ok. He put the engine forward and tried to trim the motor up at 2500 rpm and then the engine stalled. The fuse broke. He put a spare fuse in and it broke again when he tried to start.

-He called me, and i tried a new fuse and it also broke.

-Put a new one in and tried to trim it up and down and it was ok.

-It trimed up and down without trouble when ignition was off.

-I put ignition on and after a second the fuse broke. 

-Customer said there were smoke coming from the EMM.

-After seeking for bad wiers and shortcuts i found the shortcut inside the EMM and the starter solenoid.

First i replased the starter solenoid to try the cheapest thing first. Still the same.

-Replaced the EMM and everything was ok. "I thought"

-The engine runed on land with water supply for many houres and trim was ok. No fault codes.

-Then i launched it again and the same thing happend when trimming up. Fuse broke and EMM was burned again.

I have opened the exhaust valve to check if there is water inside but no. I belive the trim engine is ok because it works fine and is brand new. This to parts are the only components that is under water and can shorting when the boat is on water

Can anyone help me with this or has anyone had the same problem. I can`t find treads whit the same problem online.

Regards Hampol

Admiral

Re: Burned EMM after using trim

The two things that can damage an EMM are overheating conditions due to restricted cooling water through the EMM or voltage spikes from intermittent wiring connections. Most of the time it is from loose or corroded battery cables and terminals. There should never be wing nuts on the battery, only lockwashers and hex nuts, tightened with a wrench.

A replacement part in the US comes with a 1 year warranty. I do not know if that is the same outside of North America. If the EMM is less than one year old, you may want to contact  brp.care@brp.com for assistance.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hi

The EMM is only one month old.

Restricted cooling is not the problem. The water delivering is ok and tested.

I`m going to check the batterys cables and connectors again, but it looks ok.

I will try contacting brp. care for assisstance

Thanks!

Admiral

What was the part number of the replacement EMM and who transferred the information about the hours, engine history, and injector coefficients before running the motor for the first time?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hi

New EMM has almost the same number as the old.

It was imposible to read out the data from the old one, so I wrote down all the serialnumbers on EMM, injectors and injectors checksum numbers. Had to disconnect som of the ports on EMM to read engine hours of instrument ( because of shortcut inside EMM).

The new one was programd in Belgium with the same injector coefficients as the old one. 

It was also checked by BRP dealer after because it didn`t fire up before we put a BRP diagnotic tool on it.

It runed perfect for 3 houres on land, and about 20 minutes on water. it was no trouble triming down but at ones i pushed the trim up button, it  stalled. Put a new fuse in and tried to start and the fuse broke at ones. Put in a second fuse and i could trim up and down with no trouble with ignition off. If i trie put  ignition on the fuse breaks at ones.

The EMM in Norway cost about 2000 dollar. so i don`t want to by a new one just to have it being toast again.

Highlighted
Admiral

Be sure to email your experiences to brp.care@brp.com and include the motor serial number.