Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Can I open an EMM?

I have a problem with my EMM. It overheated because of a bad battery and the engine doesn't start any more. I read that it could be just a blown fuse. So I tried to open it myself to check the fuses, but after unscrewing the top, I cannot lift it. It seems stuck with some tape inside. I used a stanley knife to detach around the edge but still nogo. I am afraid to insert the knife too deeply as I guess I may cut some wires. 

The reason why I am trying to fix it myself is that I live in Mauritius, in the middle of the Indian Ocean, and sending it in to a US repair service costs me more than $200 each way. 

Any tips?

Cheers

Silvano

PS: p/n: 586724E  Ficht Evinrude EMM 

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Can I open an EMM?

Usually those things are potted inside. To keep out moisture and cut down on vibration, I could be wrong though about Evinrude, but I know when my Yamaha went I cut it open to see what I could find and it was all solid rubber
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Can I open an EMM?

@SDEG wrote:

I have a problem with my EMM. It overheated because of a bad battery and the engine doesn't start any more. I read that it could be just a blown fuse. So I tried to open it myself to check the fuses, but after unscrewing the top, I cannot lift it.

PS: p/n: 586724E  Ficht Evinrude EMM 

On a FICHT engine there are no fuses inside the EMM. They are located in the power distribution panel on the stb. side of the powerhead. Coming off the PDP is a wire that is attached to a 20 amp fuse holder that feeds the EMM. Sometimes corrosion gets inside the contacts and the result is a poor, intermittent, or completely open connection. The PDP fuses are for various items and are all 10 amp.  It is best to obtain a factory service manual for your particular engine for an accurate reference.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.