Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Charging fault on E-Tec 90 hp

I have posted this on another section of this site as well.

Propblem is as follows - Starboard engine does not charge the battery. All other manufacturers parameters are ok.

I have the software and testing between the 2 engines shows identical data, except for the Battery Volts on the SB engine.

What I find strange though, is the fact that the Charging Amps increase normally with an increase in RPM, batery volts however stays the same - 12.4 volts.

Motor other wise runs perfectly. I make sure the battery is always fully charged ptior to launching.

2nd query - what would the issues be if both batteries are connected in series to be charged by PS engine only?

• Would this put too much strian on 1 charging system?
  • Would this be detrimental to the health of 1 charging system?

I'm asking here as we do not have a qualified Evinrude tech anywhere nearby. I am mostly self sufficient when it comes to servicing my motors.

I have most manuals and software, but can't locate this fault.

PLEASE HELP.......

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Charging fault on E-Tec 90 hp

[ Edited ]

I don't think you can get a better answer than what Olypopper gave you under Evinrude pros.

Highlighted
Captain

I suggest testing voltage at the battery with a volt meter while the starboard engine is running. Does it maintain the 12.4 volts or slowly drop?
As Oly said it could be a voltage regulator problem in the EMM. It could also be a bad battery so swapping batteries would be a test option. Other factors could be and other devices that are running on your battery. If you have a 10 amp charge output and then have pumps etc. that are drawing 10 amps then battery voltage would not increase.
Since you are using an external charger, what is the no load voltage on each battery after charging?
Highlighted
Skipper

Hi All

Thanks for the comments and advice.

A bit of feedback......

After exhausting tests on everything electrical, isolating the charging circuit, and retesting this, it is abundantly clear that the fault is within the EMM.

Now, there is no way that I will consider buying a new module due to just 1 fault, especially here in South Africa. I will find a way around this.

I might go the way that Holland suggested in a previous thread, and that is to open the unit and replacing the faulty cap.

Regards to all.