Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Check Engine light and Alarm

I have a 2005 225HP s/n 05101778, Model E225DPLSOC.  I got a check engine light.  The engine set a code of water in fuel.  We changed the water filter, and checked for water in the fuel.  When I ran the motor again the light cam on again and set the same code.  I disconnected the connector at the water filter. Ran the motor again, and still get the check engine light.  Same code.  I have been told I may have a bad EMM. 

Is there anything else that can cause this condition?

Captain

Re: Check Engine light and Alarm

With the sensor probes disconnected, if the alarm still occurs the issue would be either chaffed wire shorting to ground (somewhere between EMM and connector) or internal EMM failure.

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
· See a great post? Give a Kudo kudo.pngto show your appreciation!
Captain

Thanks for the help.  I already checked for the chaffed wire.  Looks like I need a new EMM.

John

Captain

So is it just an expectation that after 10 -15 years the EMM is going to need replacement?
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Captain

No more so than expecting a computer module on your car will fail at a given time.

Most of the E-TEC motors which I am familiar with (dating back to 2004), are running fine on their original  EMM -

Conversely, we still occasionaly have to replace power packs on motors that are 30+ years old (analog technology but still solid state electronics) 

It is not like the electronics wear out, but  components do go bad.

Causes may vary - voltage or current spikes, moisture in the wrong area, overheat can cause internal stresses.