Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Chokes out at high rpm

I just purchased a pontoon boat with a 2009 115 etec on the test drive it performed great I came back a week later and picked up the boat put it in the water let it warm up and started down the lake anything over 3800rpm the motor acts like it is starving for fuel and dies.....I drained all of the fuel that I could get out of the tank replaced it with ethanol free fuel and treated it with the evenrude2+4 fuel treatment and replaced the spin on fuel filter....ran it for 10 min at 2500-3000rpm and it ran great bumped it up to 4200rpm and it ran for about 75 yards and lost power and shut down.....it took several attempts to restart the motor and when it finally did restart it was running very rough.....so I reved It up and it smoothed out...then I ran it at the lower rpm and it ran fine again....just looking for any thoughts on what it might be?....also how long is the warranty good for on this motor? Thanks in advance for any help

Bryan
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Chokes out at high rpm

The standard factory warranty is 3 years of coverage unless it is used commercially, then it is one year. There have been sales incentives that extended coverage up to 5 years.

You will have to have the motor transferred to your name and if it is over 3 years old(or 300 hours) then you will have to show proof of the factory required servicing to activate the addtional 2 years of coverage if that was included.

Call Evinrude support with your serial number and they can look up the warranty situation for your outboard, 262-884-5993

An Evinrude tech will have to isnpect your engine by checking for any air or restrictions in the fuel system and monitor the  output pressures of the lift pump and electric pump at all speeds to determine if it is a fuel delivery problem. Since you purchased this rig used, also have the tech do a complete inspection on the motor to make sure everything is adjusted correctly, that it has the right prop on it, and to determine if the motor is in good health.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.