Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Code 12 but TPS is okay

Hi. I have a 2001 Evinrude 250 Ram Injection with 210 hours. I bought the boat with very low hours. About 100 hours ago the EMM was repaired for the ignition capacitors and then later for the voltage regulator. During the time I've owned it I also replaced the low pressure fuel pump and the fuel accumulator/reservoir. Recently installed new plugs, both fuel filters. Five hours ago I was running offshore and the outboard started bucking and kicking at 3500 rpms. Started getting worse and I could not find a steady rpm setting. Eventually I got a CEL and it went to idle. Had to restart and nurse it back to port. In total I traveled about 50 miles that day.  Plugged in the computer and I had code 12. No other codes. I replaced the TPS with a new one. So I expected it to run fine after. I took the boat out Friday and it ran fine for 20 miles at 4,300 rpms. I stopped on some birds and got some tuna. When I started running again it started the same routine of bucking and kicking and not holding a steady rpm. I stopped and fished a while. Shut down the motor. When I eventually restarted it was doing the same thing but I was able to get to 4,500 rpms and it smoothed out for about an hour of running back to port. I idled in the harbor for an hour as I cleaned fish. Then tried going to the ramp and it was bucking, kicking, and the CEL would light and the outboard would go to idle. Turned off, started again and nursed it to the ramp. Hooked up the computer today and Code 12 again. Same exact thing. So I don't believe my new TPS is bad. Probably the old one is good too. Any ideas? Could the EMM be causing this? Any history of the EMM setting off code 12 and running the way I'm describing? Thanks.

Admiral

Re: Code 12 but TPS is okay

Code 12 also can mean there is a problem in the 5 volt reference circuit which is the regulated power to the TPS. That voltage is generated by the EMM but any loose wiring in the circuits or other 5 volt powered sensors could affect the load on the circuit.  Do not overlook loose pin connections or wiring abnormalities in the engine harness for the 5V system.

Check the resistance at the TPS pins and for any dead spots per the service manual.  Also you may have to run the motor to duplicate the situation while having laptop hooked up to the motor and monitor the the engine parameters when the problem occurs while observing a digital voltmeter connected to the 5 volt circuitry.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks! That's the only advice I've received on any of the forums for this problem. What would you suspect given that it ran just fine for 20 miles before it started having problems? This was the case both times. And once it started it got progressively worse until it started triggering the CEL unless I babied it in. Thanks.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Test your TPS resistance and smoothness of operation first to be sure it is not the new TPS, if OK, then you would need a service manual and test equipment or the services of a trained technician.

One other thing to check is the TPS voltage from dead idle to holding the throttle hard at wide open and also slamming it to wide open. If the linkage for some reason allows more than a certain voltage, about 4.7V, the EMM will trigger the error code.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks. When I received the new tps I did the ohm checks and they were both very similar in all the readings. I also tested the voltage when adjusting the throttle and it progresses smoothly and within limits. Last night I woke up with the idea to replace both of my batteries (they are both about 4-5 years old). I keep them on a charger when in storage but when I fish I'm running the bait pump the entire time, the sonar, the chart plotter, the vhf, the wash down pump to clean the blood, the stereo, and often stopped for hours on fish. I often shut down the outboard when fishing, but even at an idle it probably doesn't produce enough amps for all that, so towards the end of the day my batteries are probably getting low on charge. Plus I'll clean all the connectors real well.

Skipper

Ok. I read through the manual and I see the different 5-volt sensors. So I will check each one for any odd stuff like corrosion and check and wires for any chafing. It looks like all the grounds go back to the EMM? Also the resistance of each sensor. It sort of makes sense that maybe this is being caused by the water temp sensor. The reason I say that is because it doesn't do this when the outboard is cold and I ran for an hour at 4,200 rpms both trips before stopping and eventually having this problem start up. It almost sounds like a heat soak is occuring when I shut down (or after so many hours of operation) and then starting the problem? So based on what you are suggesting perhaps one of the sensors is shorting and zapping the 5-volt system, which is then reducing the voltage going to the TPS? I mentioned earlier about the batteries getting old and the electrical demands of all my systems. Do you think this could be adding to the problem? Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

Admiral

Do you by chance have a water pressure gauge transducer installed in an I-Command network?

Skipper

no.

Highlighted
Mate

Mate

Hello, I know this is an old post but wanted to know if you ever figured out what was wrong with your engine.

I have a 2001 225 Evinrude with 238 hours doing exactly the same thing as yours. I haven’t checked the TPS yet but it is having the same symptoms. Mine left me stranded on safe mode and couldn’t go past 1000 rpms. Threw the CEL twice yesterday with codes 12 & 14. Any ideas what this issue might be?