Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Code 136

Hi Guys,

We recently purchased a new hull to fit out and have shipped to our holiday house on flinders island Tasmania where we spend most of our summer holidays.  After much research we decided to go with the G2 mostly due to BRP’s claims of superior economy, performance, reliability and ease of maintenance.

On the 11thof December 2018 I had a new Etec G2 200hp fitted by our local dealer, Straight out of the box we had fuel solenoid issues which were rectified by the dealer under warranty.

We ran the boat for 10 hours locally with no issues then had it shipped to the island, the boat and engine combination were made for each other with incredible performance and handling. The engine ran seamlessly for the first 9 days (around 40hrs), on the tenth day whist crossing the bar at North East river the engine lost power due to exhaust over temp (code 136) (See Note 1 below), we returned to the ramp took the boat off the water and contacted the dealer. We chartered an aircraft and flew the dealer down to the island to rectify the fault, the exhaust temp sensor was changed which did not rectify the fault so the dealer contacted BRP support who asked him to remove the power head and check the strainer for the exhaust cooling system (Note 2), the power head was removed and the strainer checked for contamination (No contamination found). The engine was re-assembled and test run with no fault.

After the test run the boat was put back on the trailer and not used for 3 days due to poor weather, today the weather improved so we launched the boat and headed off shore, 40min offshore the engine went from cruise power back to idle and showed another code 136 exhaust over temp.

Having serious doubts about the reliability and safety of BRP’s product.

BRP this issue has put my wife and kids at unnecessary risk and is destroying our summer holidays, this needs to be rectified immediately its simply not good enough for a new engine.

Note 1: To the best of my knowledge and after asking both marine and other engineers about the damage that could be caused by an exhaust over temp I believe the only damage that would occur if the temp was not reduced would be some melted plastic I don’t see how this is a critical fault that warrants the engine automatically reducing power and going into  limp home mode.  This reduction in power nearly caused the complete loss of the boat and put lives at unnecessary risk whilst crossing the bar at North East river. I would like to see an override function for this and other non critical faults so the power can be used if required.  Life always out ways the cost of an engine.

Note 2: BRP why on earth would you put a strainer under the power head where it is inaccessible and cannot be checked. You could have easily made the strainer externally accessible.

Admiral

Re: Code 136

Ask your dealer to reference service bulletin No. 2017-12(S) if your motor is the 3.4L 200 HP.  Make sure the max. rpm attainable is 5400 to 6000.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Re: Code 136

Thank you Blue Water Bill, the after installation test was 5450 to 5500 rpm at full throttle. I’ll send bulliten to dealer now.