Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Constant Power head issues on G2's 225 and 150

[ Edited ]

I run a water taxi business that has three etec g2s. We have gone through many etecs over the last 20 years and they have mostly been pretty reliable considering we put about 500-800 on each one per season. I am curious to know if anyone else has been having power head issues with the new G2's. In the last 3 years we have had 9 power heads fail and leave us without our taxi boats for far too long. We have a 150 and 2 225s. There have been other issues as well but the power heads seem to go constantly. One of our engines has gone through 4 alone. We are at the point where we are losing a large amount of business because we never have all of our boats here at one time anymore. It's a real problem and a major disappointment as our last 2012 225 went for 5000 hours with very minor issues. Please let me know if you are also experiencing this. We have been loyal to Evinrude and have bought many engines over the years but there hasn't been any solution to this happening so we are now likely to switch to Yamaha.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Mate

Re: Constant Power head issues

I have a 2013 etec 250 and I am currently on my 6th powerhead.... and have replaced 8 injectors. Was thinking about getting the G2 on a new boat next month but I’m not too sure now after doing some reading on them.
Admiral

Re: Constant Power head issues on G2's 225 and 150

[ Edited ]

When there are numerous failures of a powerhead, often the root cause (cuprit) is not found and corrected.  On new motors installed on older boats, often the existing fuel and electrical systems are not up par or something is disturbing clean water flow to the cooling system intake screens. 

You may want to email the serial numbers, dealer name(s), and a brief history to http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Re: Constant Power head issues on G2's 225 and 150

So I have a  3 yr old 250HO G2 and I am on power head  number 4. I have to admit that the first 2 failures were excactly what the admiral said. Rerigging and a fuel problem that did not get discovered untill the second power head failure. BRP was generous enough to warranty it and everytime I was back on the water after one week. Super fast servfice. the 3rd was definitaly a warranty failure. BRP send out a tech to make sure everything was installed ok and now with 150 hrs on the new head everything seems to be ok for now.