Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Convert tiller to remote steering

I have a 2012 ETEC 30 HP tiller (model E30TESLINC) that I would like to convert to remote steering. Can anyone tell me the parts that are required to do this or is there a kit that contains everything?

Thanks...

Admiral

Re: Convert tiller to remote steering

To convert to remote steering, you will need a complete steering system installed in the boat and one #173699 steering arm link for the motor. Follow the steering kit instructions for installation.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

You will also need Remote Control Adapter Kit, P/N 5007742. This kit contains the trunnion clamps and screws to hold the throttle and shift cables (the tiller model doesn't use these), the washers and cable retainer clips and the electrical plugs to seal the soon-to-be un-used electrical connector for the tiller wiring.

Of course, there's a remote control box and control cables too... Smiley Wink

FYI - you can download the Installation and Predelivery Guide from the BRP Operator's Guide web site. From the Owner's Center link above, select Operator's Guides. When the new page opens, select Evinrude, then Predlivery and Installation Guides. Select the year/model desired, then you will find the available documents in pdf format listed in the lower left frame.

Oh, I almost forgot - You'll need a trip to your local dealer to toggle the EMM software from "tiller" to "remote" for the proper start in gear protection.

-John

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Mate

I just ran across this thread, and though it is older...it is the perfect timing for me. I’m trying to convert a 40 HP Etec (2011) tiller to remote and I’m wondering if the 40 HP tiller also needs this adapater kit? I’ve read different things online suggesting this kit only gets used on tiller motors up to 30HP. Can anyone confirm if it is required on the 40 HP tiller as well? 

I have everything ready to convert and notice the shift/throttle cables that came with my new controls doesn’t seem to fit right onto the motor as it is today. Thanks - Mel

Admiral

Your motor does not need the 30 hp adapter kit. It will need a steering link, though, to attach the cable ram to the motor and a trip to the dealer to re-program the start in gear safety system to remote.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

The new cables don’t look to fit right where the tiller cables do, so I figured this kit was what I needed. I guess I’ll have to figure out how to secure them in place. Does anyone know if the shift/throttle cables should go right in place or is there some modification or changes I would need to install/secure them. I’d attach a picture to show if that was possible. Thanks - Mel

Admiral

Evinrude makes kits to convert a remote engine to a tiller-steered model but not the other way around.  

You could possibly enlist the services of a technician who may be able to fabricate or find parts to make it work, but those are not factory approved modifications.

For images of how things are hooked up you can download a pre-delivery and installation booklet from http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com and choose EVINRUDE from the pull-down menu