Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Cylinder Head Temperature Out of Range: EMM CODE 43, LED #4

HI

Be interested in feedback regarding the time it would take for a CODE 43: Cylinder head temperature above expected range to remedy.  I assume it will depend on how far out of range the temp gets, however can anyone describe a situation that would demonstrate a cylinder head temperature range becoming out of range for less than or equal to 1 second?  Thank you.

MW

Manual Ref E-Tec Overheat Code General.jpgManual Ref E-Tec Overheat Code Specific.jpg

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Cylinder Head Temperature Out of Range: EMM CODE 43, LED #4

In theory a temporary water restriction, a sticking pressure relief valve, or a sticking thermostat could cause the temperature to go over range for a short period of time. Such a short duration would tend to indicate a wiring problem.
How were you able to determine that the overheat code only lasted for one second?
Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

Thank you Rickmcd53

I took the cowling off and had the kid running the boat while I took a video of the EMM module and caught one of the episodes on the vid.  Please see attachments.  The LED #4 remained on for only a moment.  I activated SloMo to ensure I caught the LED illuminating since the episodes were so brief.

So in December of last year, I was having an issue with my E-Tec Speed Adjusting Failsafe Electronics warning system tripping at or near WOT.  To remedy the episode, it just required the throttle to be brought back to idle position.  As long as the throttle was immediately brought back to idle, the motor jumped back into action as if nothing ever happened.  No sputtering, no choking.  It would randomly do this, but only at or near WOT - would not occur while idling slowly or at cruising speeds on plane.

I brought my motor in for service and the EMM Diagnostic Summary revealed 16 Episodes which I believe is accurate.  The time stamps associated with the episodes is not accurate as the episodes occured in the last few hours of operation prior to service.  The report reveals the first Code 43 Episode occured at 68 hours and the last at 137 hours.  Again, this is inaccurate as the problem revealed itself only a few engine hours prior to bringing it in.

My motor was purchased from an authorized dealer in 2016 and the 3 year/300 hour service had not been done so my loacl certified service center informed me that BRP would not consider this a warranty issue until money was invested in the recommended service.  The service included a new water pump.  The engine runs perfect now.

Attached:

Vid of EMM capturing duration of a typical episode

Pic of printout of Service conducted

(view in My Videos)

Screenshot_20200123-204407_Docs To Go~2[34615].jpg

Highlighted
Captain

Since code information can be tricky to read the timestamps are probably accurate. Your engine could well have had a brief code set once at 68 hours, then it could have set 15 times during the 137th hour.
Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

OK... Appreciate your feedback - always. Thank you.