Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Digital Faria hourmeter

Hey guys,

Been a while,

I just got a Faria digital meter and now I have a question on installing it. Where should I run the positive wire so I get a good connection? Now my next question! When I turn off the power will this Faria digital hourmeter store the engine hours when the power is off or am I just wasting my time trying to install this meter? I wonder if I remove my battery that it will be zeroed out when I reconnect the battery?? Now I'm getting confused.

Admiral

Re: Digital Faria hourmeter

A regular traditional hourmeter records the time that power is supplied to it. When the power is turned off, the hourmeter keeps the time elapsed, it does not go to zero.

On Evinrude-Johnson outboards, the purple wire from the keyswitch  is the 12 volts positive that also powers the gauges and items on the motor when the key is turned to ON. You may find a taped up purple and black wire in your engine to console wiring harness under the dash or connect to a guage.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Re: Digital Faria hourmeter

So I did contact Faria and the long and short of it all is, the digital hourmeter does retain the hours when the battery is removed or the key is off. They said there is a chip in the gauge. Jason also recommended that I just connect gauge by jumping from another gauge on the dash. Purple to purple, black to black. Easy Peasy!!