Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Dissapointed owner

Hi, Im new here and have reluctantly posted to see if anyone has come across a similar issue to our current one and to vent my utter dissapointment for the 2011 115etec I have owned since new.. Sorry if its long..

Issues since new..

5HRS; motor bogging down, running rough.

Dealer re-installed fuel system.

56 HRs; Revs dropping, running rough, motor dies, hard to restart but eventually does. several times.

New ignition coil.

158 HRS; running rough, motor cutting out, required tow home.

New spark plugs

165 HRS; more of the smae issues. got home this time..

300hr service and replaced EMM and lots small parts.

260 HRS; motor dies at low revs, unable to restart NO faults shown, in a very dangerous location, we were lucky to drift out of danger. Required tow home. Started at home after lots trying, (not good idea on my behalf)

Dealer Unable to determine exact cause no fault codes evident. new Spark plugs

280 HRS; motor dies at low revs, unable to start, NO fault shown Required tow home.

Water found in cylinders, corrosion in power head, and air reed valves. 20 HR old plugs completely gummed up.

Stripped motor completely, unable to determine cause of water entry. Dealer has not experienced this problem before. No problem what so ever with fuel or delivery.

STILL AT SHOP.

As you can see I am a very unhappy owner and cant wait to one day get another brand..

I am not a rich person, I have spent considerable outlay on a new wizz bang product which I hoped I could enjoy my love of fishing /boating with. I am now left with a "motor" which I have absolutely NO trust in, that is worth a fraction of what I paid. I can not afford to upgrade. I have 2 young boys who Id love to experience the joys of boats..

Any help would be appreciated.

Mick.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Dissapointed owner

I’m sorry for your loss. I don’t share your sentiment re reliability and Etecs, my experience has been far from what you are describing.
Mate

Hello All,

I re-powered my boat (removed Hondas) here in Alaska in 2017 with Twin Evinrude 150 HP G2's. The dealer I purchased them from "Ron's Honda Center in Soldotna, Alaska the following year in 2018 told me he was no longer going to carry the Evinrudes because The Evinrude Company wanted him to carry so many items in his shop that it was not feasible for him to market their products???

Now Im stuck with engines with 53 hrs on them that need a authorized dealer to look at them, because something in my Starboard engine will not allow me to get to full power. It's like something has come unplugged from my icon Touch panel. I'm not sure if it is a hardware problem or in need of a software upgrade?

Is it Evinrudes ploy to start up new dealerships and then force them to quit selling their products, to allow the 5-Year Warrenty that we were all sold on...to lapse because we have no one to service them?

I've been waiting on the Anchorage Evinrude Dealership since 5/24/19 to call me to bring in my boat for servicing. At that time I already had 38 boat owners waiting in front of me?

Like the rest of you, I thought these motors must be "The Cats Meow"! Five years no maintenance, except lower end oil replacement and winterizing. Here in Alaska, we don't just stay in a lake, we go hundreds of miles in the middle of nowhere. To tell you the truth, Im not sure I would take them very far with the problems I've has so far. For years I've told my friends, anything mechanical, isn't worth a darn, if there is not someone to properly service it?

When Evinrude starts up a new dealership for their Evinrude G2's, do they require the mechanics to attending training or do they just hand them a manual...and say there it is?

What am I to do?

Admiral

How dificult would it be to get to Fairbanks? There is a topnotch dealer there

Boat Shop Inc

1050 Chena Pump Road

Fairbanks, Alaska 99709

907-479-2518

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I feel your pain. I am 4 weeks with out my boat because of a known steering issue. 3 years of ownership 3 warranty issues totalled 6 missed weeks of use. Cant get any where with evinrude email them and there link on web site for email does not work. Called and constantly put on hold for long periods. I am now going to other forums and posting my issues with these motors and BRP. They claim advanced technology but if it doesn't work what good is it.
Admiral

Have you sent information to this particular site?

http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I did and when I submitted my issue the browser took me the the skid doo web page. So I have no idea if my issue was ever seen by Evinrude people. It just one more in a series of issues I am experiencing with BRP
Mate

I feel your pain - because Im going through similar problems with my Evinrudes. Purchased 2 brand new in 2016 (for a lot of money!) and have more down time with the egnines in shop, than hours on the new motors in 3 years. And once you buy them - that's it, you are locked in and your vessel is held hostage to poor engineering and cheap components (as I do feel the blocks and core workings of the motors are good - (thanks to what BRP inherited from OMC)),, But all these new technologies and peripheral components are crap.

And while BRP attempts to provide a customer service contact - it's useless for existing owners. As soon as you start getting into details about your problem, they say "Your service center has to work with our technicians though a case # they created".  It is not raising the level of satisfaction for this customer - doubt it did for you. 

Good luck.