Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Does this repair on my 30 hp E-Tec sound correct.

2011  E30DTELIIH  s/n 5312784    Just had my 3yr 300 hr service done on this engine which I wish I had more time to use.

Bought by me new.  Actual 40 hrs of use no problems acept a minor intermittant miss or hicup at idle on occasion while

trolling. Engine report was real good EMM max temp121.5 deg   Max temp172.8 deg. Using XD-100 oil only so I had them

switch to XD-100 setting. The repair shop which is E-tec certified replaced the plugs, fuel filter, installed waterpump kit 5008972

gear lube and test ran my motor no problems. My question, the service bulletin which came out a few years ago said to replace

the thermostat springs when replacing the water pump with stronger ones to keep the engine from running too cool, on engines in my serial # range.The repair shop which has an excellent reputation, said my engine already had the improved impeller and

the instructions that came with the factory BRP kit ( which I saw) said replace the springs on 2009 and 2010 engines but not

2011 and later 25/30 HP engines. I'm assuming this is correct but just wanted to verify with you.  I always run shell 87 with

2+4 in every tank and I did change the gear lube once before myself. The impeller had just begun to take a bit of a set so I'm

glad I had it done.I just hate to have to take the engine in again and have it pulled apart if not necessary. They even checked the fuel in the old filter for contamination all was ok.

As always thanks for the help Bill

Coastal Guy

Admiral

Re: Does this repair on my 30 hp E-Tec sound correct.

[ Edited ]

The bulletin 2012-03(S) dated 7-20-12 concerning the 25 & 30 HP water pump improvement mentions to change the pressure relief and thermostat springs to the ones included in the kits for the 2009 through 2012 engines plus the model AA that starts the new production run since there are no more yearly engine designations after 2012.

Water Pump Repair Kit, P/N 5008972
Water pump impeller kit, p/n 5008968

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.