Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

E-TEC 130 NMEA Issues

[ Edited ]

Hey guys, new here.

I have an 18ft center console with ICON PRO gauges and a 2012 130 HP Etec. The previous owner installed the NMEA network and all worked fine initially. Then one of the NMEA connectors broke where the drop cable (from tach) meets the backbone. I snipped the bad connector and utilized a Maretron field connector, and ended up having to solder the NMEA wires going into the set screws on the field connector before they would transmit any data at all. NMEA Engine Data cable was also replaced at this time as well as a new NMEA backbone.

This setup worked for a season, but now is not transmitting any trim or fuel data like it was before. The tach guage is not flashing, and I am getting engine temp and tach, so it seems like some data is getting through. I replaced the field connector and bought a new drop cable, and spliced into the wiring harness, all connections tested good for continuity. But still no trim or fuel data.

Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated!

Captain

Re: E-TEC 130 NMEA Issues

You state that the instrument is reading engine temp and RPM.  That would imply that NMEA 2000 connection between instrument and engine is intact.  If some data is passing, all data is passing.

I would recommend going over the instrument configuration and setup.

Mate

Appreciate that input. I have gone through and re-initialized and ensured all of the data sources are set correctly. Maybe I need to do the master reset as well.

Highlighted
Admiral

This article may help you

http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&p=17700&sid=4e4dc6079e4fbe53f8f6789289671a5e#p177...

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.