Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

E-TEC 175 Missing badly after normal operating Temp -

I have an 2011 E-TEC E175DPXIIB,  I purchased it as a rebuilt engine in Dec 20, 2014.  I am looking to resolve an issue(s) that the Evinrude repair facility is unable to fix.

I have had several issues with the motor reaching operating temperature over several hours and then stops working properly.  I first noticed an issue after reaching the operating temp when returning to neutral, the motor would idle high. 

On May 25, 2016, the technician performed repair under service bulletin #2014-02(S) Throttle levers. 

Then in Dec 2017, the motor was missing badly.  While running at speeds above 2500 RPMs, the motor would cut off and immediate return to operating speed.  If the engine was allowed to cool down, the motor run fine.  On Dec 4th, 2017 the technician replaced the plugs.  

On Jun 20, 2018,  the motor again, after reaching operating temp for several hours, starting missing badly at speeds in excess of 2500 RPM, and then when I idled down throttle, the motor would idle high.  The technician’s fix was to replace the throttle cables.  That repair didn’t fix the problem, another technician said the air silencer was interfering with the throttle and sanded down the bottom of the silencer just below the bottom butterfly housing.  It seemed to fix the issues for the time being. 

In Sept 2018, again the engine was missing after reaching operating temp for over an hour and again after throttling down, the motor would remain at high idle.  Returned boat to the repair facility.  The technician said they found sand in the water passages and replace the low-pressure water pump.  He noted on the repair ticket, high temps in block, EMM, and under the hood but not hot enough to set codes.

Motor ran fine until 12/1/2018 when I took the boat out for fishing.  I ran about an hour to the fishing grounds at approx 5000RPMs.  Noticed after 45 minutes, a slight miss in the motor.  Continue to the fishing grounds and trolled for two hours with no problem.  Headed to another location and after running for 20 minutes the motor started missing badly.  Decided to head home.  Tried various RPMS and the motor missed violently at speeds anywhere from 2500 to 5500 RPMs.  It continued to miss for until we reach 5 miles from port when I throttled down to trolling speed.  The motor run fine at low RPMs.  I increased throttled and the motor missed.  Throttled back down and removed the cowling.  Motor ran better at the higher RPMs.  As I was approaching the dock, I throttled down to idled and the motor remained idling at high speed again.  I turn the motor off, let it set for about a minute and started it back up.  It ran normal.  I docked the boat.  Turned off the engine, removed the air silencer.  Started the engine up, took the boat back out to big water and ran it at speeds from 2500 to 5500.  The motor ran fine.  I am looking for recommendation.  The owner of Evinrude dealer in my area is having health issues and I do not feel comfortable dealing with the head technician unless the owner is present. 

Thanks

John McAllister

Admiral

Re: E-TEC 175 Missing badly after normal operating Temp -

It has to be determined first if it is an electrical or a fuel problem causing the missing in the engine.

Monitoring the motor at all speeds with vacuum and pressure gauges, a voltmeter, and using the Evinrude diagnostic software is the only thorough way of troubleshooting your enginer. In most cases, the dealer technician is trained in finding and solving engine problems like this.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

Re: E-TEC 175 Missing badly after normal operating Temp -

Do you run in saltwater? If so, there may be spray ingested from a transducer or some hull protrusion that is getting into the motor and corroding up the throttle bushings, causing them not to return to idle. This assumes that the linkage and cable is adjusted correctly and is free moving.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.