Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Re: E TEC 30 overheating

Check service bill for cup part number. If a complete kit was fitted, it's probably the latest version. As for firmware, check the engine report. Need model number to advice the latest firmware for your engine.

Highlighted
Captain

092015 E30DPGLABF - SN05447225 3 Model Number Serial Number E-Tec[34614].jpeg

Highlighted
Captain

I don't see 0360633.  What is the significance of that particular item number vs the one I just had installed?  Thank you.Screenshot_20200123-204407_Docs To Go~2[34615].jpg

Highlighted
Captain

5008972 is the latest water pump kit, so that should be ok. Your ABF engine's latest Software Is ; 3030503-2030264.

Highlighted
Captain

Appreciate it Nordmann per the Engine Identification Report:

Map Soft Ver: 3030459

Map Soft Rev: 2026432

We kinda rely on our Service Technicians to execute these things no? Expecially since it is still under warranty?

Highlighted
Skipper

1. I have an etec 30hp with 31hrs and it was experiencing a partial overheat at 3/4 + throttle and would go to idle and after retarding the throttle and re-advancing cruise could be resumed for a variable amount of time. I took it to Becks in Jacksonville and they had said that Evinrude had switched to a water pump impeller that was thicker but would show up as a worn one with the vanes bent back (which I saw before he shipped for warranty). The mechanic installed a well proven impeller that he had good luck with. The old impeller provided enough cooling at idle but not cruise. All was covered under warranty.  Adfitionally the overheat led at the engine only shows as long as the overheat exists but the events are logged in EMM and can be read by the mechanic.
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@Steve777 wrote:
  1. I have an etec 30hp with 31hrs and it was experiencing a partial overheat at 3/4 + throttle and would go to idle and after retarding the throttle and re-advancing cruise could be resumed for a variable amount of time. I took it to Becks in Jacksonville and they had said that Evinrude had switched to a water pump impeller that was thicker but would show up as a worn one with the vanes bent back (which I saw before he shipped for warranty). The mechanic installed a well proven impeller that he had good luck with. The old impeller provided enough cooling at idle but not cruise. All was covered under warranty.  Adfitionally the overheat led at the engine only shows as long as the overheat exists but the events are logged in EMM and can be read by the mechanic.

Which overheat codes were found in the engine report? That will tell where to start looking for the overheating condition.  Also on the 25 and 30 hp motors with multiple or severe overheating, the exhaust tuner could be distorted and need replacement.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.