Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

E TEC 30 overheating

Hi , my first post on this site, I have a 30 E TECand was out today when it broke down and I had to be towed in by the local lifeboat

.Going along after having a 15 min warm up on jetty, had just opened it up to about 3/4 when the engine suddenly cut out, first I thought one of us on board had knocked something , no.  , Heaps of steam coming from the tell tale spout but also water, had been checking tell tale and it had looked alright. After a few minutes got it started but it cut out. No warning alarm from the instrument strip,

It has only done about 35 hours from new and about 2-3 hours since a full service.   I have had it about a year and only done about 10-12 hrs. Always flushed after use.

The engine was much to hot to touch. when I got it home took the thermostat out no muck in housing but next to it is a plastic pin with a spring and diaphram on,  the end of the plastic pin was slightly distorted and looks as it has been overheated.

I have a mate who is a marine mechanic , he has not seen it yet but both he and I agree it seems to be a cooling system fault causing what I think is an automatic cut out to work., possibly the thermostat or a partial blockage somewhere The engine will start . I would have thought some sort of alarm would have sounded . 

Its going back to the mechanics tomorrow but has anyone else had issues like this

Cheers

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: E TEC 30 overheating

[ Edited ]

An overheat condition slows the motor to about 1200 rpm for protection. If you attempt to increase rpm, the motor will start to shake but not increase speed. If the motor continues to heat up, the motor will eventually stop.

The LED indicators on the EMM are visible by removing the motor cover. In case of an overheat condition, the #4  LED will illuminate. There is a decal on the EMM that explains the lights and what they mean.

This is also printed in your owners manual and here a an excerpt from it:

Running Mode

If any LED is ON while the outboard is running,

it may indicate a system problem. Refer

to EMM Diagnostics Label.

LED 1, 2, or 3 ON, return to port as soon as

practical to avoid operational difficulties. See

your Dealer.

LED 4 ON indicates:

• Engine temp. OVER range, refer to Engine

Overheating on page 43.

If it is determined that the overheat was water pump related, ask your dealer to follow the procedures in service bulletin # 2012-03(S) if it applies to your motor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for your reply

I took it into an authorised  service dealer today who said that the EMU had shown that it had got to about 230degs when it shut of . It had not gone into limp mode and no warning lights flashed, I have four on the bottom of the taco . I told him to change the whole water pump unit and the theromstat unit including the pressure release valve. I also wanted the warning lights and limp mode situations investgated. The water pump assembly and thermostat bits were all changed  about 2 hrs running ago when it had a full service even thought the clock says it has only done 26hrs 51mins from new . I would not feel comfortable unless they are replaced whatever caused the problem.

I am begining to feel that the problem may not have been only mechanical.

Is it possible to fit a temp gauge and extra alarm so I can monitor the temp myself in future

Thanks 

Highlighted
Skipper

Just one more thing, someone told me that the EMUs are also cooled by the water circulating around them 

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Make sure that the tell-tale water outflow is not blocked or restricted in any way. Never keep a quick-disconnect fitting on it as those, in most cases, restrict the water flow and cause problems with the EMM and by not cooling the fuel system.

The EMM is water cooled and is the fuel system, as with every other low-emission 2 or 4 stroke engine with fuel injection. If the EMM overheats from lack of water flow, the #4 LED on it will illuminate, the motor will slow to 1200 rpm (unless it is running below 1200 rpm) and the EMM will store a code 25 for each over-temp occurance.

On the 15 HO, 25 and 30 HP E-TECs the System Check gauge will only show a LOW OIL light. It is not set up for illuminating the other lights on those motors.

Ask your dealer to contact the factory technicians through using the dealer-support line for assistance in troubleshooting your motor if needed.

Your owners manual shows the SystemCheck guage displays only a LOW OIL warning, as does the factory service manual.

from the service manual:

An optional engine monitoring system [ SystemCheck gauge] warns the

operator of conditions that could damage the outboard.

The system includes a LOW OIL switch on

the oil tank, a warning horn, a dash-mounted display,

and related wiring.

The outboard’s EMM sends information about

monitored functions to:

A SystemCheck gauge

EMM LED indicators

IMPORTANT: Evinrude E-TEC 15–30 HP models

provide LOW OIL warning ONLY.

The EMM activates the warning horn and gauge

displays as follows:

LOW OIL means that oil in the tank is at reserve

level (about 1/4 full).

For all other warnings, refer to EMM LED INDICATORS

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks  for your help, 

Highlighted
Skipper

Spoken to the engineer who says that when he took the leg off he found that the impellor was damaged , one blade was chopped up and another couple had bits missing these bits were in the bottom as I had back flushed the engine before taking it in to the shop. He said that the cause was probably a stone or other object that had been drawn up into the pump through the inlets on the bottom of the leg, He said the bits would then have gone up into the water channels and blocked or partially blocked them and would have caused the overheating but was not able to say why the engine did not go into limp mode.I asked if it could have been a faulty impellor or it  not being put in properly by his mechanic. He said that could not be the case , he had never heard of  a new  impellor breaking up after 2 hours due to faulty manufacture.

The engine has not come into contact with any foriegn objects or the bottom.

My questions are 

Could a small stone, and he said stone , get into the pump through the grills which to my memory are pretty small , and if that was the case would the inside of the housing have score marks to prove it.

There was no apparent stone found , what if any damage further into the engine could this have caused if one did get in, especially as it ripped the blades. 

If not a stone , what.

I am begining to think that the impellor was not changed it may only have had 26 hrs run time but it was 5 years old , that being the case may not have looked worn but could have been brittle

I will be collecting the boat tomorrow , and I have a friend coming with me who is a marine engineer and there may well be some harsh words said

I would be grateful for any views .                 

Highlighted
Skipper

orry one last thing , I have been told that I can not fit a temp gauge to this engine but have been told the a water pressure gauge could be, is that correct and haw easy is it to fit 

Highlighted
Admiral

Tell the mechanic that you want the complete water pump kit installed, not just the impeller.

'There is a service bulletin about the new kit as it has higher water pressure output and requires special springs behid the blow-off valve and thermostat. Also to check for exhaust tuner damage from overheating.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks just checked with mechanic to make sure