Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: E TEC 30 overheating

Mention to him service bulletin 2012-03(S) about water pump improvements for the 15HO through 30 HP

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks Bill.

I did print out and give to him the service bulletin about the uprated impellor and springs dated 2012 when it had the service , but I am forced to repeat that I am worried that he did not change them .

Another thing has   worried me , when speaking to someone from the dealer she mentioned running it in the river and not finding any overheating problems, well that was either done before they dropped the gearbox or they dropped the gearbox found the broken impellor , put the gearbox back and then ran it in the river with the damaged impellor still in( because they did not have one in stock). Either way the engine should not have been run untill the bits had been ckecked  especially as I had said I wanted everything replaced anyway.

I will wait to make judgement untill I go to get my boat but it looking horribly likely that the fault does not lay with the engine but the dealership. 

Highlighted
Skipper

Just been looking on google  for a manual , I  understand that its all model based  and not  year based ,but no one ever mentions the 2009 model when was  the 30 etec first produced

Highlighted
Admiral

#5007802  is the 2009 service manual and is available from a dealer

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks Bill

Highlighted
Mate

I have evinrude etec 225, water pee normal, after few mins ride it alarm hot, I have replace the thermostat and valve. But the water to open valve seems to be dry no water was going through , funny water pee always good,
Looks like it not circulating to engine. Any help ?
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@Kilabuk wrote:
I have evinrude etec 225, water pee normal, after few mins ride it alarm hot, I have replace the thermostat and valve. But the water to open valve seems to be dry no water was going through , funny water pee always good,
Looks like it not circulating to engine. Any help ?

To troubleshoot an overheating problem you start with the basics and work your way up, something like climbing a tree - one branch at a time.

You do not say what the model number is. Some Evinrude E-TEC 225 HP motors have service bulletins concerning overheating. See an authorized Evinrude dealer  to find out if they may apply to your motor.

If you work on the motor yourself, purchase a factory service manual from your dealer and follow all warnings and procedures.

Replace the water pump assembly, not just the impeller. If you do not have one, temporarily connect a water pressure gauge to the motor and monitor the pressures at all speeds. Compare the results with the published specifications. All testing has to be in the water, not on the flusher hose.

Highlighted
Mate

I have a 2018 e tec 25hp. I've had it for about 8 months now. While I was running it it just bogged down and went into limp mode then I'd wait a second then it would run fine for another 5 minutes then bogg down. Same thing happened over and over. No LED lights indicated anything so idk I'm lost.
Highlighted
Captain

Your engine is covered under warranty so you should have your dealer check or repair it.
Highlighted
Admiral

Because there were no indicator lights, it may be something fuel related such as water in the gas, phase-separation, fuel pump or gas  line connector issues, or something simple such as a venting problem in the fuel tank.

As Rick said, it should be warranty if it is a factory part gone bad or not operating as it should.