Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Re: E TEC 30 overheating

IM having the exact issue with a 30hp 2016 motor. if im really fast to jump up and check the emm when the engine goes into limp mode LED 4 stays on for half a second. If this was a true overheating issue would the light stay solid? 

Highlighted
Mate

Did you ever get your problem fixed?
Highlighted
Mate

I have 2014 model E30DTSLABB 09/2014 SN 05419161. While on plane engine goes back to idle. I’ve had the impeller changed as part of service but technician said impellor was fine but it stored overheat code. They said they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. After putting up with it for a bit I had a look under the cowling and found the oil reservoir sucked in and realised it wasn’t getting enough oil at high revs so it goes back to idle. Starting,idle and half throttle is ok anything over that doesn’t seem to get enough then cuts back.
Highlighted
Mate

I forgot to mention my oil cap wasn’t venting so I left it loose so my tank could breathe and haven’t had a problem since.
Highlighted
Admiral

@Mick wrote:
I forgot to mention my oil cap wasn’t venting so I left it loose so my tank could breathe and haven’t had a problem since.
5008406 *OIL CAP Assembly

$10.50

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Hi Ryder

Did you ever learn anything?  My motor just recently started revealing the same issue. Only caveat with mine is the safe mode doe not trip until the engine is run at WOT. Light #4 under the cowling illuminates for only a moment. Motor runs smooth as it pulls down to 1200 RPM. Pull throttle back to idle position and then gun it and motor jumps into action, smooth, then randomly pulls itself down only after running at WOT. Pull throttle back to idle and gun it shes back up and running. Problem will not occur if on plane at cruising speed/RPM.

Highlighted
Captain
Highlighted
Captain

Thank you.  Appreciate the follow-up. Just got mine back from Aquatech Marine - they are great as well. The Engine Identification Report revealed 16 Overheat Events.  The total duration (sum) of all events was 37 seconds - in other words, the total amount of time the engine maintained an out of range temperature was 37 seconds.

Total Engine Hours = 145:59:30. 

Total Hours of Operation since last Diag = 69 Hours

Total Hours of Operation with Temperature Out of Range = 00:00:37, HH:MMSmiley FrustratedS.

37 seconds is consistent with the way the motor behaved while underway.  However, some information in the Report is inaccurate.  The report logged the first event occurred at 68 Hours and the last event occurred  at 137 Hours.  However, all events witnessed during operation occurred within the last 5-7 hours of operation.  EMM Max Temp was 131.9°.

It was recently reported on this site that Nominal Max EMM Temp is 194°

My motor is a 2015 and was purchased in 2016, so I appoved a 3 Year/300 Hour service which includes Water Pump Kit. Prior to brining the motor in for service, Tell- Tale flow was nominal.  The old impellor I was shown had all blades intact, however they were all uniformly bent and the rubber was fairly malleable still.  I was told that they fixed a gasket that was not installed properly, which they cited may have caused the overheat issue.  My thought is that if it was a faulty gasket install, the problem would have been more persistent and occurred much earlier on which they couldn’t confirm or deny.

Put 2 hours on the motor since service. Ran it pretty hard, Used a stopwatch and logged 25 mins at WOT. No Overheat Events – motor runs fantastic.

Highlighted
Captain

I hope they fitted the new water pump cup 0360633 as well? Also firmware updates?

Highlighted
Captain

Appreciate the comment. Maybe you can help us understand how one goes about verifying which pump cup and firmware version ones motor has?