Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

E-TEC 90HO (noob owner questions)

Guys, I just got a 2018 E-TEC 90HO factory instaled on a Alumacraft competitor 165 boat, I've never owned a boat before so I dont know much about these engines so what im inqiring about may be perfectly normal behavior for a outboard motor.

(1) Quite often when I turn the key to start the motor the engine does not fire and I hear a buzzing sound from somewhere in the engine, second turn of the key usauly starts the engine.

(2) The last two cold starts while the engine warms up the revs kind of flucturate lightly until the engine is warm then the revs steady to normal tick over speed. (the engine used to rev at a steady warm up rpm before that, just wondering if something is not right or needs to be checked out?

(3) When I put the motor into gear, I get some feedback from the throttle lever (feels a bit like when you try putting a standard car into gear with a dodgy clutch)

(4) when I'm out on the water at cruising speed, if I shut down the revs to slow down I see quite a bit of white smoke coming out the back, not sure if thats anything to wory about as I've only put abou 10 hours on the motor and believe the motor pumps extra oil in at over 3000 rpm while the engine runs itself in (first 20 hours I was told) so is that why I see white smoke?

The only things that I've done in the last couple of weeks was to fill the oil tank up with XD100 (dealer told me they set the engine to only run on this oil) and a put 2oz of Evinrude 2+4 fuel conditioner when I topped up the gas tank last weekend.

The boat is due to go back to the dealer at the end of this month as there are a few warranty things that need doing on the boat itself so if you think the things mentioned above need looking at, I'll get them to do that at the same time.

Thanks for reading that rather long post, but like I said at the start, I know nothing about these matters..

Cheer's Guys.. 

2019 Alumacraft Competitor Sport 165
2018 Evinrude E-TEC 90HO
E90HGLAFL s/n 05524795
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: E-TEC 90HO (noob owner questions)

You may as well take your motor in to the dealer as soon as you can. The symptoms you describe sound pretty minor but should be looked at to be on the safe side.

White smoke you see is normal and harmless steam from the cooling water mixing with the hot exhaust gases, especially when you slow down from a long run.

Your shifting feedback may be from your shifting too slow, do not ease it into gear. Snap it into gear. There may also a misadjusted shift cable or shift rod that your dealer can check.

The buzzing sound when starting may be poor or loose battery connections, there should not be wing nuts on the battery terminals, only hex nuts tightened with a wrench. Your dealer can inspect that.

We are sorry to hear of these little issues as they can be aggravating and should not happen.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the reply Bill, very helpful of you as like I said it's my first boat so don't have anything I can compare it too. I'll definaintly get them to check out those things when the boat goes back to the dealer in a couple of weeks time. I'll post back here if they find anything wrong just in case somebody else has the same problems.
2019 Alumacraft Competitor Sport 165
2018 Evinrude E-TEC 90HO
E90HGLAFL s/n 05524795
Admiral

Since you are new to boating, ask your dealer salesperson or technician to go out on the water with your for a quick spin to possibly give you some hints and tips about your boat and its operation.

Think of it like using the services of the golf pro that most golf courses have to help the players. Perhaps a pizza, beverage or gift certificate at the end of the "lessons" would be a nice gesture.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.