Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

E-TEC ISSUES on my 115

I've finally got to let this all out. I see a recurring theme here with so many E-Tec owners from the world over including direct friends of mine. These 2-strokes just seem to be completely lacking in reliability and spend more time at the dealer being repaired than on the water.

I own a 2007 115hp E-Tec (E115DPLSUC) that has seen more than it's fair share of problems over the last 7 years of its existence. I among many others was lead to believe through fancy maketing and advertisements and local guides that these motors were the best thing around. My list of repairs has been extensive and none come as such a blow as the latest failure of my EMM (one of 1,000's I have learned). The motor had to have a new powerhead put on it with very low hours (thankfully under warranty), the starter is inadequate and has been replaced once and rebuilt (bendix and other gears) twice, failed fuel pump motor, bad exhaust valve actuator and relay, leak on blow-out valve caused flywheel and stator to need replacement, amonst many other small repairs, lost time on the water, and thousands of dollars on out-of-warranty parts/labor. All done with less than 800hrs for a motor that has been used by a weekend fisherman. I've serviced that motor at every interval due and then some! There are so many other things it has been in for it's crazy (like the injector profile programming because of hard starting). It just has not lived up to it's expectations, and I now see this is an ongoing problem with so many other E-Tec owners out there.

So my hot to trot BRP money guzzler now sits at the dealer. Again. This time for most likely a diagnosis of a faulty EMM. Cost on this repair can vary between $1500-$2000 dependent upon how FULL of retail your dealer charges. So I did some research and found more EMM's for sale on ebay than Pete Rose rookie cards. There are apparently several folks out there that will refurbish your EMM for around $400-$600 and give you a 50hr. warranty.

I'm beyond frustrated at the lack of reliability this motor has shown. The high cost of repairs far outweighs the benifits of owning one in my opinion. So for now I will sit back and await my dealers call directing me to empty my wallet again while I try and research the how's and why's of these rampant EMM failures. Not once did it overheat or have an uninterrupted flow of water out the exhaust, nor do I have any loose or faulty connections causing a shortage. So I fail to see how this is anything other than a manufacturer's flaw. ...end rant.

Mate

Re: E-TEC ISSUES on my 115

Sorry to hear of your issues. What fuel are you using and where do you buy it? That may be the beginning of your issues? As for the injectors, could i reccomend to use "Fuel Doctor" which cleans and maintains the fuel system, when used at each fill. Fuel is the most overlooked cause of issues in any motor, E10 should be banned. Fuel is the cheapest commodity put into your engine, often the poorest product. I use "Fuel Doctor" in all my engines and notice a huge difference. One thing usually leads to another.

Just a thought.

Admiral

We are sorry to hear of your experiences and that your motor has not lived up to your expectations. Have you been in touch with Evinrude After Sales Support as they are very helpful and can assist your dealer in helping to troubleshoot and repair your motor. If you are in the US or Canada call 262-884-5993 with the serial number and explain your situation.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Sounds like you have had a really bad experience.  I would be interested in how you make out with BRP after you call.

I only had 284 hours on my 2005 E-tec 200 when it developed a knock and low compression in one of the cylinders.  BRP would not help in my case because of the age.  The dealer could find no issues with fuel or maintenance, and my diagnostic printout did not show any issues with temperature, but somehow one of 6 cylinders ins worn out to the point that the piston is knocking. 

I did have good experience with my motor except for the powerhead replacement after season #1 and the failure after 284 hours.  Maybe the issue that caused my powerhead to fail the first season (under warranty) caused it to fail again?

I like E-tec technology, and it would have been nice if BRP would have done something for me even if it was just to allow me to buy the reman powerhead at cost rather than making money on it.  that one action could have maintained me as a loyal E-tec promoter, but now I am "lukewarm"

It seems like BRP has been making improvements, and the newer E-tec's and especially the new G2 are probably more reliable.  I know that doesn't make you feel any better. especially with so few hours.

Good luck with BRP.  I hope they take care of you.

Mate

[ Edited ]

Well it turned out to be the EMM as suspected. It has an internal short in it and will not communicate with a laptop running BRP's software. I contacted BRP and they created a case # and spoke with my dealer. The dealer informed me that they had reduced the price from over $1500 down to $800. The dealer says it is done and runs fine. I've heard that one too many times though. Total bill will be $957. Not a happy E-TEC owner! Having a new model year anything is asking for trouble. I sure hope that they have worked out their issues and the new G2's won't exhibit the same hiccups or learning curve as the early run E-TEC's did.

Early on when E-TEC's were first introduced the "trained" techs had very little to go off of experience wise when troubleshooting these motors. They sometimes just had to throw parts at them and hope for the best. If you own one or are planning on buying one I would recommend selling it before your warranty is up as the guides/pros do. Mine has left me stranded, cost me thousands in repairs, and had me shaking my head in frustration far too many times.

I should note that none of my motors problems were self inflicted. There have been no fuel issues other than a motor cartridge going out on its own, no wiring or electrical issues, no carbon issues, etc. There have been corrosion issues that were the fault of the manufacturer that resulted in a new powerhead being installed under warranty and a minor leak on the blow out valve causing the flywheel and stator inc. said valve to be replaced. I say this because almost all of the sites i've visited like to point the finger at ethanol, anything less than XD100, or particularly the use of wingnuts on the battery terminals (so redundant). None of these can be attributed to my engines woes, nor has anyone pointed out why these EMM's go out for random reasons. No history of overheating either.

Captain

i know there are thousands of e-tecs that dont have problems but most of the posts about problems recieve a reply about possible fuel problems causing the issues. My e-tec is a 2014 and has run great for the short time i have had it.. I use portable tanks and run them dry before refilling.. i am using evinrude 2+4 fuel conditioner i every tank . Is this enough to offset the 10 percent ethanol that is in most of the gas now? or should i try and find non ethnol fuel if possible? just trying to avoid any future problems. my last evinrude lasted 17 years with no problems until i fried a piston last spring. That was the main reason i stuck with evinrude
Admiral

Using 2+4 Fuel additive is the best way to protect your gasoline from forming varnish, it stabilizes the fuel and slows down the corrosive effects of E-10 fuel.

Non-ethanol gas is best as it will minimize problems and eliminate phase separation which leaves water in the bottom of the fuel tank.

It is best not to run tanks completely dry as when it is running out of fuel, the electric fuel pump starts to wear internally and raise in temperature and the injectors rely on the fuel to be a hydraulic cushion for the moving steel parts. In addition, the air in the lines and the injectors have to be purged out when the motor is attempting to start up after running out of fuel.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Cap B 

wish I had seen this post before I bought the 2008 new 115 that I got in 08 , 2 fuel injectors and flywheel magnets flying off ruining wheel and stator too late. BRP SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO SELL THIS KIND OFF JUNK

Mate

In 2009 I replaced a 1994 100hp that threw a piston ring,  Whent back to the dealer who sold me my 100HP , and purchased a 2009 115 HP E tec.  The motor was put on my boat, put in the water and never made it to my dock. I took it back to the dealer who said the problem was an injestor stuck open. 4 days later a  new  injector was put on. This  motor was difficult to start and many times left us sitting at the dock. Spent many trips and hours of my vacation back at the dealer. Fuel lines replaced, new batteries put in. Still the same old problems , it would not start.  Put up with this intermiitent not starting until the last year of warrenty. Left the boat and motor at the marina where it was purchased. They put a new strarter on it with some other starting componetsm.  Still same old problems, trailer boat to one of the great lakes to fish and my family and I would sit at the docks. This past July 2016,  my wife, daughter and I were left stranded on Lake Superior at 10:30 pm after a night of fishing, Now I am pissed. Called the dealer  after we  limped in with my 15 HP kicker.  The dealer installed  three new injectors, leaving me with  a sizable repair bill.  This motor has only a little over 200 hours on it. Ready to pull the plug and sink the boat.  After all three new injectors were installed, I  trailered the Boat to TENN. last week and the motor starts runs slow and full throttle, At half to two thirds throttle it spits and sputters.  Now I am  beside myself, we are 900 miles from the dealer who has worked on it since it was purchased new . After a phone call to him in northern MICH, He tells me to change the spark plugs, taking out a 60 dollar set that has less than 5 hours on them. He told me if that didn't work take it to a dealer in Tenn.  We didn't have that kind of time .  Brought the boat and motor back to Ohio where it sits in the barn. Not sure if I want to put it back on the  water.  This is the seventh Evinrude I have ownd.  It has turned out to be to least reliable piece of JUNK I have ever spent my  hard earned money on.  Why didn't Evenrude Replce this piece of Junk when it was purchased, ship this unreliable outboard back to the factory an see what kind of a product they were selling.  jshu 52 @ yahoo.com    This fishing vessel, FISHHOOK  spends more time going back to the dealership than it does on the water.

Admiral

I'm very sorry to hear about those experiences that you had for the last 7 years.

In all that time did you ever contact Evnrude After Sales Support whose number is in the owners manual? If so, I am sure that your situation would have been rectified years ago.  I cannot promise anything but please email  brp.care@brp.com  with the motor serial number, servicing dealer, and what you wrote here.

The Evinrude E-TEC 115 HP is the most popular V4 in the outboard family and tens of thousands power mid-size boats all over the US and around the world. It was introduced over 9 years ago and is still in production and a best seller.