Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

E-Tec 250 (2007) not reaching max RPM (anymore...)

Hello to everyone in the forum. I have a problem with my E-Tec, I have already contacted evinrude so I'll just copy-paste here the email I sent, I think it's a fairly good description of my problem. 

"Dear Sir, 

My name is Dimitris Iosif and i live in Rodos island in Greece. 

I’ve decided to contact the “headquarters” because I can find no solution with the local mechanics… So, the story goes like this:

I have an E250DPXSUA (ser. 05172360) on a RIB (Evripus, 745 Cabin, its a 24 feet RIB made in Greece, 2014). I bought it with the motor installed. The motor was able to reach 5800rpm with a top speed of about 53mph. 
Few months ago, I filled one of the 2 tanks of the boat with gas that was most probably high in ethanol or toluene. I actually realised that after a performance drop during a trip and when on land, I saw that the fuel was of milky appearance! The mechanic said it was toluene but we can’t be certain about that. There was no alarm on the engine and when plugged in the EV-Diag, no alarms either! 

So, the mechanic found that there was a corroded tube of the fuel system (i think that was in the engine), faulty fuel pump and a clogged injector. He replaced all those plus all the spark plugs, and the engine fired up normally. Everybody happy now but no sea trial yet. 

BUT, in the sea, the motor could no more reach more than 5000rpm at WOT! Acceleration seams fine, no problem getting on plane, motor maxes out at 5000rpm! On top of that, the motor has problems starting up. I have to crank it up 2-3 times, then it starts but the idle is unstable and most often it stalls. After a total of 4-6 tries we have a running engine. And it occasionally stalls when shifting from forward to backwards and vice versa. This paragraph actually describes the exact situation up to now!

About a month later I called in another mechanic from Athens who is supposed to have great experience with E-Tecs. He found a small crack in the midsection of the outboard which he filled with heat resistant epoxy glue. He said that i’ll have to replace it at some point further on. He found that 2 of the spark plugs were carbonated and replaced them. He tested the engine with a test propeller (which i cannot say if it was for the 250hp or smaller engine) and it revved up to 6000 without even having the throttle lever to full! He tested all the spark plugs and all the injectors through the software, with the engine at about 2000rpm and found no faults. Also the alternator was OK and the battery charging OK. The TPS showed a little low voltage at full throttle lever but he said it might correct itself during the test run  He tested the engine with a test propeller (which i cannot say if it was for the 250hp or smaller engine) and it revved up to 6000 without even having the throttle lever to full! The weather was bad so we didn’t do a sea trial, again!

Next sea trial, see the previous. After that I talked to the first mechanic who said that he replaced the fuel pump with a used one he had laying in his shop which wasn’t the exact same and that the pressure output was lower than it should! Don’t ask me what and why, that’s what he said. BUT, he now asked for about 1000 euros to replace that fuel pump. 
And he also stated that the E-Tecs can have an injector replaced without having to register it to the EMM as they used to do in older Evinrudes. Totally False, isn’t it? But I now have an injector that is not setup as should...

I myself replaced the primer bulb, checked the fuel filter / water separator and tried separately to use fuel from tank 1 and tank 2. Nothing changed the results. 

My Questions:
1. Could it really be the pump he claims he replaced? I am afraid that i’ll end up paying 1000 euros for a new pump and the problem will persist. 
2. Could the TPS cause it? Should we calibrate it?
3. Could the injector not being normally setup with the EMM cause the problems?
4. Any other ideas on what to look for?

Nothing is changed on the boat, the propeller is the same. I have even removed the hydrofoil before the 2 last sea trials but no change in performance whatsoever!
I have a short video from the trial with the testing prop, if you need it I can send it. 

Thank you in advance

Dr. Iosif Dimitrios, MD"

Since then, we have tested with another fuel pump without any change of the situation. Another pump, same problem. 

This is the testing propeller used:

IMG_4541.jpeg

This is the boat, just to have an idea what we're talking about. 
IMG_4599.jpeg

I can provide you with the Report of the EV-Diag in pdf...

Admiral

Re: E-Tec 250 (2007) not reaching max RPM (anymore...)

What address did you use for "headquarters?"

If it was not sent to  brp.care@brp.com , please email them your story with the engine serial number and what was done.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hello!
I sent it to evinrude.consumers@brp.com
I got a reply that I’ll have to go to a dealer along with the contact to the main distributor in Greece. Well, thanks a lot... I live on an island, I don’t have access to main dealers etc. All i ask for is some technical insight and some guidance. That’s the reason I posted here.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

A dealer will be required to check your motor out and send a report to the factory if needed. Be sure to send an email to brp.care@brp.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

The dealer from Athens will come again to check it. I would like to have some extra help from someone. Nevertheless I will send my email to brp.care and let you know the results.
Thanks for your answer.