Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

E-tec 2016 30 hp start problems

Hi.

I have problems with starting my e-tec 30 outboard. I have to turn the key 3-4 times before it fires up. Then it runs on low rpms for about 20 seconds before it revs up to normal idle. If I turn off the motor and try again it starts normally. It runs fine and no warning lights.

This have happened two times in a row. It seems like the motor is not getting enough petrol when I try to start it. It started after I filled up the gas tank (portable) and reconnected the petrol hose. At first I thought it was just air in the petrol hose after I reconnected the petrol hose, but now this has happened twice without disconnecting the hose.

It behaves like an old outboard when you forget to adjust the choke manually...

Any ideas what can couse this?

Captain

Re: E-tec 2016 30 hp start problems

I would check for...
Water in fuel that settles to just picking up water in the bottom of the tank or VST.
Flooding from fuel leaking from the VST vent hose while sitting.
Low pressure pump leaking into the crankcase.
Do you have one of the newer non vented fuel tanks?
Skipper

I have normal portable petrol tank with a valve (screw) I have to open to allow air in the tank while the motor consume petrol. It is placed in the back and has a primer bulb on the hose
Admiral

Are you running the motor dry after using it?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Not sure what you mean by "running dry". If you mean shut off the petrol flow and let the motor stall instead of turning it off with the key, then no.

I have had the outboard for three years and I have always just turned it off with the key. Never been a problem.

Admiral

@OLEvinrude wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "running dry". If you mean shut off the petrol flow and let the motor stall instead of turning it off with the key, then no.

I have had the outboard for three years and I have always just turned it off with the key. Never been a problem.

Your description sounds just like a motor that has been run out ot fuel. It then takes several tries to purge the air out of the injectors and lines and fill up the vapor separator assembly with liquid fuel. Then the motor runs normally.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I agree. But what I do not understand is why this happens when I shut down the outboard normally using the the key. I do not disconnect the petrol hose beteween runs either. Is the problem between the tank and motor? Should I try to change the petrol hose perhaps?
Admiral

I think you are at the point where a tech with the proper tools and diagnostic software hooked up should go for a ride with you. Have everything hooked up before you start the motor.

Skipper

Tried agin yesterday. It startet on first try. No problems . Ran perfectly. Did not pump the bulb on the petrol hose. Between startups it has been temperature drops from 15 to almost below zero degrees. I live in Norway. My guess now is that there has been som condensation in the petrol hose between runs caused by the temperature drops. The weather has been stable since the last start up, and now it was no problems. Hopefully it will start easilly from now on..
Skipper

I'm having almost the same problem on my 2019 30hp e-tec tiller.I get it on the water and it starts right up.I will take off to fishing spot and be there maybe 15 to 30 minutes and get ready to leave and it takes awhile for it to start up again I have primed the bulb and that doesn't seem to help either.not sure what is going on with it.All my other e-tec's I have owned have started with just a touch of the button every time. Any Idea's?