Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

E25

Help.  Have  a 2014 E25DT SLABB 

serial 5404972  Will not keep running. Dealer I bought through is retired  Had to take to Lubbock, TX to nearest dealer.  

$1300 later they admitted they can't fix it.  Motor starts fine, runs for about 5 to 10 minutes then the light comes on for overheating or no oil and it shuts down  Dealer replaced fuel pump, plugs new waterpumpt kit, and thermostat.  I picked up the boat and brought it home.  I can just change parts cheaper than they charge if  I don't use it for target  practice first.  What am I overlooking?  I don't want to haul it back to the dealer 100 miles away anymore.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: E25

Remove the bolts for the thermostat/pressure relief valve cover. Inspect relief valve for damage. With thermostat removed pour water in the cavity, it should drain out. If it stays full for awhile the cylinder head needs to be removed to check for blockage of the drain hole at the bottom of the block.
Highlighted
Skipper

@husker wrote:

Help.  Have  a 2014 E25DT SLABB 

serial 5404972  Will not keep running. Dealer I bought through is retired  Had to take to Lubbock, TX to nearest dealer.  

$1300 later they admitted they can't fix it.  Motor starts fine, runs for about 5 to 10 minutes then the light comes on for overheating or no oil and it shuts down  Dealer replaced fuel pump, plugs new waterpumpt kit, and thermostat.  I picked up the boat and brought it home.  I can just change parts cheaper than they charge if  I don't use it for target  practice first.  What am I overlooking?  I don't want to haul it back to the dealer 100 miles away anymore.

Did you run it out of gas?  You need a new fuel pump like me.  $500 fix and good luck finding part number 5007896.    Sorry.

Highlighted
Skipper

Will try what you advised.  Would flushing with full water pressure help clear any blockages?

Highlighted
Captain

Occasionally we find old impeller bits in the drain passage at the bottom of the head. Flushing will not make them go through the small passage. If any salt water use a flushing with salt-away may help.
Highlighted
Skipper

removed thermostat cover and poured a small cup of water thru.  No apparant blockage  When we replaced the impeller it was not chewed up.  Have the heat sensor coming.  Hope that will solve my problem.  Thanks for the advice

Highlighted
Skipper

Had a hint from ex Evinrude dealer to remove thermostat and try it Did as suggested and motor ran for about 25 minutes before red light and shut down. Never found any indication of overheating. Hope new heat sensor will solve my trouble I don't think it's worth a new computer
Highlighted
Captain

That sounds like a water pump impeller that is not pumping as well as it should. I have seen them get weak in as little as 3 months, especially if the owner runs the engine on flush muffs.
Highlighted
Skipper

Impeller was replaced by dealer last month.  It is putting out a good flow.  Replaced the temp sensor today.  After about 15minutes the light turned red again.  Disconnected the sensor and hooked it up to the old sensor and left it hanging.  After about 5 to 7 mintutes the light still turned red.  The water coming of the pee hole is just barley warm but the housing around the sensor is sizziling hot.  Will look for obstruction in the water lines.  Motor did not shut down but I turned it off when it got that hot.