Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

E30 no start

Good day all, I have a 6/2011 E30DRSINC tiller steer outboard. I was coming back in to marina when engine died and would not restart with a no spark condition. I have checked main fuse and it has power through fuse. From what I can tell I am missing the 12v signal to purple wire at emm. I have looked through harness and can't find where purple wire begins to get this 12v signal. Everyone is saying key switch, but this tiller steer doesn't have a key switch and there are NO purple wires anywhere in tiller harness. Where do I go from here and please don't say evinrude dealer. I will toss this in the bay and buy a different manufacturer if I get that answer. I have had nothing but problems with this from day 1 and now that it's out of warranty I am stuck with repair bill. I just need a little help finding voltage loss and then maybe I can get back to my cast and blast days before duck season is over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Capt. Spencer

Captain

Re: E30 no start

Hi, I am a tech at an Evinrude dealer that sells a lot of these engines. The tiller model 30's will not have "key on" power on the purple wire. Basically the key on power is produced once the engine is spinning over.
A no spark condition could be caused by a kill switch problem or an EMM problem, if you have no spark on either cylinder.
First step would be to observe the lights on the EMM while cranking the engine.
The connector on the right side cowl with the purple wire is the key switch connector when remote controls are installed. You can jump 12 volts to the purple wire there to observe EMM lights without cranking.
I would have to check to verify but I think the R in your model number means it is a rope start model. Since you have a fuse on the engine it must also have a charge module added. Does it also have electric start?
Skipper

Yes sir is has electric start as well. There are no lights on EMM when cranking. Applying 12v to purple trips breaker on power probe. 

Captain

Try unplugging the EMM and see if your power probe still trips the breaker.
You said you had power through your 10 amp engine fuse. I assume that the engine fuse does not blow while cranking?
You may also try rope starting with the tiller harness unplugged to check for spark or EMM lights.
Admiral

Your model number states that the motor is a 2012.

Check the operation of your on-engine neutral switch

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

The 10 amp fuse doesn't blow. After unplugging EMM, breaker doen't trip. I can't pull this darn thing hard enough which is why we put electric start on it.

Skipper

It will not crank out of neutral.
Captain

We install electric start kits on most of the 30's we sell also.
It is difficult to diagnose electrical problems with a keyboard but you have taken the correct basic steps. Probably best to have a tech with wiring diagrams and diagnostic software do further diagnosis.
Skipper

Sent to Evinrude dealer today. I'm not happy and will be repowering.